AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Baby Auto Mag history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby Auto Mag history
    Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 9:15pm
Iam sure some of you have seen this before but I never have until now. Great story about how the baby Automag came to be.

http://www.maynardarmsco.com/?page_id=13

It was of great interest to me since I just bought a bastard Baby Automag look-a-like  that I have no history on and would really like to contact this guy to have him look at pics of my new gun. Do you guys know who this is and does anyone have contact info for this person?

Below you will see pics of what I just bought. I think its just a standard Ruger Mark 1 frame that may have a back door AMT barrel on it? Its not even a complete Baby copy, diff ejection port, no large ears on the bolt and diff sights but I still love it. It also has had the serial number relocated to the pistols frame instead of the barrel extension and the whole gun is finished in blue! I love stainless but a nice blue is cool too. Maybe you guys that are lucky enough to have a real baby can also point out anything else you see thats diff on this pistol? Look at the barrel crown too.I have not been able to find a Baby here in CA  at the same time that I have the cash to buy it:~)  I also can not import one from another state with our crappy gun laws, why do I stay here Commifornia again?!?

Anyway I am really happy to add it to my collection wether it was made at AMT by an employee or just a gunsmith copy. It looks and shoots great.

I also have an AMT marked and serial numbered stainless steel 10.5 inch barrel with no rib, would love to find more info on these too.

Thanks!
Matt

darrell View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2011 at 10:55pm
Matt, I too live in Kailfornia, lucky us!  Barrel looks pretty good.  I remember Brian saying that the hardest part was making the rib and yours looks ok.  Guess as long as it shoots ok that's what counts. 
darrello
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 12:15am
Matt,

You are looking for Brian Maynard, sirsaka is his name on the board here.

Hope he'll drop in as it was his "baby". 

I don't own a BAM, my wife does.  One time someone looked at her funny when see said "I can't wait to shoot my baby this weekend".  Then she had to explain it was what she called here pistol as it was a 22 instead of a 44.  She has since been careful about using those words........

It looks like a nice copy.  Millet rear sight and all.  Someone obviously had access to the right equipment, because it would have been cheaper to pay $1000 for one than to have one made from a Ruger.

JW
Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 12:48am
I thought it looked pretty well made and your right, a lot easier to buy one than do the rib on this barrel especially after reading how hard it was to do the rib on that long tapered barrel.

I had the same thing happen to me as your wife, I said I was looking forward to shooting a Witness, meaning my new at the time EAA Witness .40 auto pistol:~)

Thanks for Brians name, I will try and contact him through the board.
Thanks!
Matt 
schwammy View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 9:04pm
Haha... I got some strange looks when I was overheard saying I shot a raging judge.
Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 1:43am
I also have this Ruger Mark ! with an AMT marked barrel. It is 10.5 inches long with no rib but it does look like it has the cut outs on the barrel extension for the baby auto ears on the sides of the bolts.

Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 8:22pm
Can anyone PM a phone number for Brian? I would really like to ask him a few questions about these.
Thanks!
Matt
7mmMKsuper View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7mmMKsuper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 10:23pm
Hey Matt,
    I have no wisdom for you on the "Look a Like", but do have an Idea on the Stainless Upper.  AMT sold those uppers for a while before the Lightning pistol was in the market.  They offered many barrel lengths etc. as an companion for the stock Ruger setup you may have had.  Most that I see are on the "Standard Automatic" as yours is, so that gives some idea of the time frame.

Just my two cents,
MK
Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 10:37pm
Thanks MK! I actually remember seeing these barrels for sale at gun shows years ago. I hope Brian has some more insight to both of these above.
Thanks!
Matt
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 11:48pm
I have one of those barrels without a rib too, on a Mark I frame, which I converted to a Mark II, using a lot of AMT lightning stainless spare parts I bought.  MIne is really long like 12.5 or maybe even 16.5.  I don't take it out much, as it's soo ridiculously long.  The scallop cuts are normal for an AMT I believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>