AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Gun Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Aussie looking for reloading components

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strewth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Aussie looking for reloading components
    Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 4:48am
Hello all

Wanted to introduce myself as a new member residing in Australia. Also wanted to thank all members for their contributions over the years that have been extremely interesting and helpful to me.

Still in a bit of disbelief that I have just acquired an Auto Mag Model 160 TDE High Standard 357 AMP with serial number A07580 (pic below), which I think makes it a late 1970’s High Standard bootleg build. I understand an elderly collector here had it for more than 20 years but he had no ammo so it remained unfired. Unfortunately, I can't contact him to find out any history. I am still to receive it but from pictures it looks to be in very good condition. Critically, it looks like he stored it well to avoid the case foam from deteriorating and eating into the metal.

Auto Mags are as rare as hen’s teeth here. In the last 20 years I have only ever seen/heard of two other Auto Mags in Australia. One my local dealer had but it was handed into Police during a gun buyback back in the 90's and possibly destroyed. The other was a 44 AMP advertised on an online site about 5 years but not in working condition.

I would love to shoot it but am in two minds as it is so rare. I am also worried about damaging it and getting spare parts would be very challenging.

In order for me to shoot it I need to acquire a 357 AMP die (preferably RCBS) set and some brass. I know there has been some 357 AMP head stamped brass made by smaller makers in the past but these are likely impossible to find new or used and I don’t think made any more. In this case I would be, ideally, be after some (probably 100) 44 AMP Starline brass. Neither are available in Australia and I can find any brass available in the US. So I was hoping that members may be able to assist to help me locate and post to me in Australia. I understand that 357 dies are not easy to come by these days but there must be plenty around. It’s just the challenge of finding people who have a spare set or no longer have a use for them. I checked eBay and GunBroker but can see any listed so I figured this is a good place to try. I am hoping that Starline will produce another batch of brass and I can manage to get a few hundred of them.

So I would greatly appreciate it if any member(s) would be willing to assist with brass and/or RCBS dies…

As an aside, I really hope that Auto Mag Ltd Co can get their house in order. I have been closely following the last few years and the current situation is very ominous and very Coonan like: death by a thousand (silent) cuts. It would really be a shame for it to fail again. If they can get things back on track and start selling more quality guns, including 357 AMP, it would be a lot easier for people like me as RCBS (and possibly Lee) would make the 357 AMP dies again and Starline would pump out more brass, perhaps even 357 AMP!

Kind regards
Jason

Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 5:35pm
Hi Jason,

Welcome and congrats on your purchase!

I purchased a set of 357AMP dies on eBay many years ago.  All I can suggest is keep looking there.  Also, in hopes that someone here may have an extra set they'd be willing to sell too.

Sizing 357AMP from 44AMP is fairly easy once you get your components.  Imperial Sizing Wax works great for this!  Once you get it sized correctly for your chamber you'll be set.

I believe I have some extra original CDM 44AMP brass that I can part with.  Let me check.  Also, what are the laws regarding "importing" firearm related items into Australia?  I know that it is a HUGE no-no sending items into the UK.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Strewth View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strewth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 9:16pm
Thank you for your reply and advice duly noted. 

Re CDM brass that would be hugely appreciated and I am happy to pay fair price. I am not looking for lots of brass as I do not expect I will be shooting the gun a lot but let me know what you think is excess to your needs. Can PM me if that best.

I wonder if anybody has inside info on whether Starline will produce more? I have reached out to them and await their reply.

Regards Aus laws there is no problem for dies. Can be posted directly to my home.

Ammunition and components, includes brass, are prohibited to import without a Police issued permit. Known as a Form 709 there is no cost to apply and is effectively an administrative process that just takes some time (re brass at least).

The real issue is on the US side as I understand an export license is required to export. Probably the best way to do it would be for me to find someone/organisation in the US that already has a valid export license that you could post the brass to.  Then they could ship it to a dealer here. Once in Aus there are no domestic postal restrictions.

I may also try to package up the brass with some other things like a couple of magazines, grips and spare parts kit. To make the process worthwhile.

I also reached out to Auto Mag Corp re whether the spare parts kit they offer will fit my gun but no reply yet....

Regards
Jason
Strewth View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strewth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 9:41am
Update

I have had a chance to discuss with a dealer here.

He confirmed no problem with the posting dies to Australia so I will keep looking for a set.

Re brass the dealer advised me, based on his experience, to forget about it as it's too much of a hassle given the US export licence requirement. Brass is only doable if someone is coming to Australia from the US and can take it in luggage to be declared at customs & then the Australia 709 form will get them released. Will be easier to form from 308.
icicle View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icicle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2023 at 9:48am
A few months later....
Your dilemma reminds me of the first days of Automag.  NO brass available.  Starting in March of 1972, I started cutting down some of my 30-06 cases using the RCBS form die set (still have it of course).  Eager to shoot the model 180 so I just went at things.  This was in rural Alaska, where my father lived and ran the weather station when he was not selling sporting goods or commerical fishing.
Anyway, I cut and reamed and reloaded 50.  I remember thinking it was pricey to shoot it compated to say 22 long rifle which was 50 cents a box and now it cost a quarter everytime we pulled the trigger of the AMP.
Point is that if you have the form dies, I would thing that even in Australia, aught-six or three-oh-eight or other variation would be more easily acquired.
Frankly I was surprised to see your post because of all the stories about gun confiscation there and the pictures on the internet of bins full of guns turned in to the gubbmint.
As for parts, over the past 51 years I really have not fired my pistols a lot, but a couple years ago, when Patrick Henry's operation had spare bolts for sale I ordered and received 2 just in case.  They are there mostly for my son when he ends up with them later. So parts are out there but Automag has not had bolts for sale that I have seen, since then.  They are not just plug and play- the lugs specifically would need to be custom fitted by a skilled smith/ machinist, but better than have a box of used gun parts.
Never made it to Australia but have been to NZ a few times mostly touring by bicycle.
No starline brass here, but if I did have some I would readily part with some to you, just BECAUSE.
Steve
Anchorage
Strewth View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strewth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 12:02pm

Hi Steve

Appreciate your comments. Always interesting stories to be told with personal Auto Mag experiences.

You have prompted me to post an update and some thanks.

Though just to provide some info on firearm ownership in Australia.  There is no right to arms enshrined in law here. One must have a "genuine reason" basically being: 1) sporting/target shooter, 2) professional pest/animal control, 3) business such as security or 4) farmer/primary production. Self or home defence is not a genuine reason. There is some difference to what can be accessed between the groups. For example group 2 can have semi autos with extended mag capacity such as AR style but not group 1.  This generally results in a smaller and more limited market in terms of variety and styles, particularly for group 1 sporting/target.  I fall in this group but can have an Auto Mag. Most people don't know what it is though so getting anything for it, other than powder and projectiles, is impossible in Australia. Although, pistol powder is virtually non-existent at the moment.

Have a look on https://usedguns.com.au/ and you can get a pretty good feel for what is available and prices.  It's not as bad as some think.

Since I initially posted some months ago I have made good progress and have pretty much sourced what I needed, particularly Starline brass so now I don't have to form from 308 (which is abundant). This is mainly due to some forum members very kindly helping out with items and coming across a couple of other AM owners here in Australia that had existing relationships with US dealers for exporting from the US.  There is now a bunch of items sitting at a dealer in the US added to a shipment of stuff that was already in the process of being shipped to Australia.

I would like to particularly thank Pantera Mike, and Jason Waters for their time and help with items. Terrific blokes! Also, Luvz2Shoot has been very helpful with his time.

Also, thank you Steve very much for your kind offer for brass.

As for parts and Patrick Henry/Auto Mag it is sort of bitter sweet. Patrick is a good bloke and has certainly helped the AM owners here in Australia but with all that is going on at AM availability of parts at the moment is very limited.  He has also tried to help with resurrecting the AM but it seems the AM curse is still hanging around trying to undo everything. I really hope things improve…

Regards
Jason

WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 5:30pm
Look at CH4D for dies.  Excellent stuff and lifetime.

You'll be a while looking for the RCBS .357 AMP dies.

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Lee's Summit, MO
816-377-3185
WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2023 at 5:31pm
Forgot the link....

https://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/caliber-list?filter-col=caliber&filter=357

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Lee's Summit, MO
816-377-3185
Strewth View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strewth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2023 at 1:46am
Hi Bill

Thank you for the tip. I managed to acquire an RCBS 357 AMP die set. The set is in very good condition and the later one model 56424 to boot, so lucky!. Found in France and had it shipped over no problem.

I was aware of CH4D and that was the back-up plan. Although I have heard there is quite a long wait at the moment for anything not in stock.

Getting closer to first test firing...

Regards
Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply