AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Automag Part 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 7:52am
"I'd rather see him working on it rather than answering the phone."

I'm in the same boat.

I'll call in Sept (a couple of weeks) when things settle down.

I'd really like to get out this fall with it and at least fire form some cases and work up a load before the snow flies.
AMPNBS View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 10:04pm
Patrick’s most recent update was missing one photo (at least I couldn’t see it) so he sent it to me directly. This shows the reconfigured rear of the bolt where it interfaces with the cocking piece....

Nice: Instead of the bolt flange breaking once in a blue moon, now it has a nice strong wedge that will spread and damage the much weakened cocking piece after a few hundred rounds. . .
Definitely worth the 2 years wait. . . 
Almost as brilliant as the plan to weld the recoil rods to the cocking piece! 
I'am also very impressed by the sloppy machining at the back of the cam. . . 
Benny123 View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 4:51am
New Auto Mag video—See below. Looks like a ‘positive’ change is brewing...

AMTFAN44 View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 8:02am
Originally posted by AMPNBS AMPNBS wrote:

<span style=": rgb43, 43, 43;">Patrick’s most recent update was missing one photo (at least I couldn’t see it) so he sent it to me directly. This shows the reconfigured rear of the bolt where it interfaces with the cocking piece....</span><div style=": rgb43, 43, 43;">
<div style=": rgb43, 43, 43;"><div style=": rgb43, 43, 43;">Nice: Instead of the bolt flange breaking once in a blue moon, now it has a nice strong wedge that will spread and damage the much weakened cocking piece after a few hundred rounds. . .
Definitely worth the 2 years wait. . . <div style=": rgb43, 43, 43;">Almost as brilliant as the plan to weld the recoil rods to the cocking piece! <div style=": rgb43, 43, 43;">I'am also very impressed by the sloppy machining at the back of the cam. . . 

Having spent decades in the Aerospace Machine Shop industry, we like to call that "A little extra clearance".....I'm more offended by the over-cut of the endmill on the cutter path. But, that doesn't affect function.

It's common practice to avoid sharp corners at the intersection of 2 perpendicular surfaces (ever look at the underside of a Grade 8 Hex Bolt, where the Hex meets the shank of the bolt?). The radius reduces the likelyhood of stress induced fractures. But, this juncture is carried to an extreme.
"Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?"
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 1:11pm
The first guns were made with a sharp edge. A few bolts lost their ears. A radius was added, and later enlarged, but Kent Lomont (who broke a lot of Auto Mags) said that the ears would eventually break anyway.

At least one of the prototypes used threads instead of ears. And then there was Max's AutomagX design that used cams...
Benny123 View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 3:15pm
I hadn’t realized the rear of the bolts design where it interfaces with the cocking piece was such a weak point. 

Had anyone experienced a breakage?
If so, when did the failure occur?
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 6:33pm
I am not familiar with the area at all, but it looks like Loris,SC, Home of the New AutoMag is right in the center of the hurricane action.

I hope the best for them and their employees.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Loris,+SC+29569/@34.2511164,-79.1706022,9z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x89aa9c517e8394d5:0xd45ff4a623396d2b!8m2!3d34.0562812!4d-78.8903044
Phenry3 View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 10:21pm
We closed on Tuesday and we were just going to hunker down and ride not out but since then the path has changed to cross directly over us. The building is like a bunker and will have no problems with wind but they are saying that we could have 15 of more inches of rain and possible long term power failure. We are now going to evacuate and return after the storm as soon as the power comes back on. I was trying to get an update out but with the storm we did not get it finished. I will get it finished by the weekend. Take care and thanks for all the offers to help.

Patrick
Mark F View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 10:43pm
God bless and be safe!
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 1:22am
Good luck to you, and I hope your homes fare well also. Hopefully you were able to get the $$$$ Automag Parts, and your personal possessions up high in case of flooding. 

Not much you can do about heavy manufacturing machinery, I guess....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 117118119120121 123>