AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Automag Part 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 4:28pm
These guys sound like they are doing their homework and trying to do everything right.

Max has been at this design way longer than was put in on the first design.  The original was changed on the fly and that was not the best way to design something.  I assume they have tested it extensively and it works.  Now, if they can produce the production guns to run like the prototypes is the question.

At first glance I like what I see.  Getting rid of the slotted bolt, accelerator, and bolt rotation spring makes an enormous amount of sense to me.
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 2:16am
Only time will tell.
I still have mine.
Bon Chance
Gerry
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:57pm
I took some time and this appears to be a well thought plan. I don't see what calibers that will be offered, barrels for old AMP's and a date when the pistols will be available.
Max used to post here. Perhaps Bruce and or Ian could cajole him to use this site to talk about this venture. After all, it was Bruce who tracked him down a few years ago.
Gerry
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 11:28pm

Here is an article written by Bert Mason that was on Mark's website.  It says the AutoMagX will be offered in 44, 45, and 475 AMP.  It give a lot of information.

Now that the design has advanced and the manufacturing is under a new owner, who knows what they come up with.

http://automagworld.com/articles/auto-magx-upper/
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Gerry Gerry wrote:

Only time will tell.
I still have mine.
Bon Chance
Gerry

You International Man of Mystery you!  Wink

KMP View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:06pm
I will have to agree with George. I’m excited, but a little skeptical. I will say, I don’t think it will be as easy as they make it sound, when it comes to bringing it to production. I think their greatest obstacles will be in the frame tooling and machining. The original frame was a nightmare from the first day. Even with modern casting techniques, the frames will be challenging; with it’s thin walls and gun drilling to tubes. I, Bruce and especially Brian have talked about alternative ways, while keeping the cost down. I know what I would do if I produced it…

In the pictures I see piles of parts. This scares me the most. The parts are unknown and too old to use on a newly produced production pistol. They are ideal for keeping the old ones up and running, but for liability purposes, all the new components will have to have material certifications and manufacturing lots accounted for, especially if there’s an component failure. The “certs” will be the first things the Lawyers will ask for during a Request For Discovery.

Also, the weapon should be developed as a “production pistol” allowing parts to interchange with other weapons. With modern technology, there is no reason that this pistol should follow the path of the original by being a “Mass Produced Prototype”. Let’s face it, the AM1 was a “gunsmiths gun”, meaning, if you don’t know how to keep it running, you shouldn’t own it. The Auto MagX has the possibility to turn that around. It needs to be as reliable as a Glock, will that’s pushing it a little, To make it as reliable as a Desert Eagle. A new weapon with a bad reputation will not help sell future weapons. It needs to be perfect, right out of the gate.

I’m glad to see that Larry G is a part of the program. I considered him one of my mentors in the early days. Larry knows production and he know how to safely get a product to market.

Like all of us, I will be watching and I’ll most likely be buying one. In a way, I’m a little envious that I’m not part of the project. Good luck and complete this project!

Eric

76nova View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 12:19am
If it true and it is possible we may see some light I will also be on the list.....if they havent already started one
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 12:35am
Regardless if they make it to production or not, it will be a fun project to watch. 

I dont even care if they make guns, I love to see finished parts, Bbls, grips, anything.

And I do like the concept of a Black Chrome Auto Mag, I assume that what the mock up was.

But its a long way from a design mock up to seeing one in the store, so until then I'll go back to looking for other toys,,,  Maybe a mint Series 70 Govt Model or a Diamondback .22 Mag or Colt Sauer or Browning Gold Medallion .22LR or, well so many toys out there I can think of,,,  ;-)

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
Phenry3 View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 1:23pm
Hi guys, Initially it will only be offered in .44 amp and only in one barrel length. Later when things smooth out we will start by adding additional barrel lengths and then we will consider adding other calibers. Thanks for all your interest in the company
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 1:24pm
Quote do these folks have any experience in mass production and specifically of firearms? Do they have the specialized dedicated equipment and tooling, or are they relying on CNC and universal machinery.

And from Lee Jurras; do they have the facilities to perform the extensive testing needed to ensure their products are safe (remember this is a whole gun not just parts) Do they have the connections necessary for distribution,

The original Auto Mag factory had none of those things. They had Bob B, some used manual machinery for prototyping, and testing, as far as I know, was limited to burning off some ammo at any convenient place.

They're not creating a brand-new product, they're updating an old one. And they seem to have a reasonable business plan that doesn't involve "buy barrels of scrap/reject parts and make tons of money selling new Auto Mags", which is what most of the previous attempts boiled down to.

And they reportedly have Max and Larry on board, which gives them a huge leg up. They're the two guys who *know* that it takes to make an Auto Mag. And from their comments over the years, they probably didn't get either one of them for cheap.

I probably won't be able to afford one if they succeed, but I hope they make it anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 123>