AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

41 JMP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 41 JMP
    Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 1:44am
I noticed a number of postings over the last year where you guys are talking about the 41 JMP and wanted to start a thread to discuss why you are interested in this round, nostalgia or because you have personal experience with it and if so what was positive about it.

Myself, I only did some very limited testing with the 41 JMP but never warmed up to it.

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 1:57am
I've owned 2 different 41's over the years.  One was a 6.5" 41JMP El Monte barrel WITHOUT a Jurras logo on it.  I shot several hogs with it and fired  the below FIVE shot group at 50 feet, hand held standing with it.  That was back when I was 23 years old though.  It was my go-to barrel for hunting.  I also had a Covina 8.5" tapered 41AMP barrel (marked AMP not JMP) and it was chambered short so full length sized cases would not chamber in it.  I had a special shell holder that I used to size rounds for that barrel.  It was shaved thin, in order to get the shoulder shoved back far enough to chamber.  That was just a huge pain in the ass, so I rarely used that barrel. However I did use that barrel one time to drop a hog at 85 yards in the pouring rain, hand held, no rest. 

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 4:26am
Were you fire-forming your brass before loading full power rounds?

I had a devil of a time forming the brass at first, the shoulder was tough to get right the first time, but once fire-formed reloading was no problem.

Bullet selection was not great 20ish years ago, maybe there are better/more choices today.

I just never felt like the 41 JMP was worth it, If I wanted a fast round I could just shoot 357 AMP and if I wanted to punch a big hole then the 44 AMP did the trick, and the very narrow bullet weight between the 158gr 357 AMP and the 180gr 44 AMP was not some magical number I was looking for, and so I gave up on it. 

So its itneresting to hear what others think that have any real experience with the round.

Thanks

GH
AUTOMAG View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUTOMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 12:26pm
I never had a 41 JMP barrel but I do have the reloading die set for it!!! Maybe one day!!!!Smile
"This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints"!!!
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 1:31pm
^^^^^^^Ha!  Me too!^^^^^^
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 2:03pm
Honestly I really feel like it just doesn't offer any advantages to make it worth the cost in the Bbl and dies and then keeping another stash of bullets.

I dont personally feel that the 41 JMP is any more accurate that the 357/44 AMP in the testing I did, and with 357 "common" bullet weights for the 357 running from 125 - 158gr and for the 44 from 180 - 240gr then the 41 fills a real narrow space in between, so again, not sure what I'm missing but to say you have one.

I would love to hear a really compelling reason to drop $2k on the 41 over either the 357 or 44, but then sometimes just because is enough for some,,,  Guess thats why I ended up with so many "extras",,,  ;-)

schwammy View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 7:56pm
To me the 41 JMP, 40 KMP and the LMP's are more than just projectiles with numbers.
They have a personal touch by people who are part of 'the Auto Mag story'.
I could babble on with a lot more of my feelings, but they follow the same point as above.

I'll put a couple of hundred rounds total per month through mine because to me they are a joy to shoot.
Hunting around here usually means a 50-75 yard shot.
With my confidence in the Auto Mag from practice, I'll often take a head shot where any of the calibers would do.
I already reload 28 calibers, so for me I'd be happy to add those without a second thought.
I actually enjoy adding new calibers to my stable since it gives me a chance to add to my knowledge and develop new pet loads.
Gerry View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 12:16am
Much like Schwammy, reloading and shooting are my hobby. I bought a set of 41 JMP dies in a moment of a lapse of reason. Since I had the dies and brass, I needed a barrel.
Off to SSK for a 10" barrel with a SOB mount for my TC G2. I put a 2X Leupold and made some brass, and then put about 20 rounds into 2" at 25 yards.
Always wonder what a clip would be like in the AMP platform.
Already have a 357 AMP barrel both for my AMP and TC.
The addiction continues, maybe.
Gerry
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 12:44am
I count 23 barrels in that picture... that must be why Brian is having to make 23 more!
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 2:52am
Given an option I'd go .357 but I've been given no option!

Lol.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic