AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AMP Crimp Dies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMP Crimp Dies
    Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 12:36am
While I expect there to be naysayers when I say Lee, I've found their Factory Crimp Dies to work extremely well.
My reloading bench is a mix and match of equipment from a variety of manufacturers; I use what works best for me.
I've had a positive experience and wanted to share for anyone who might be interested...

For kicks I went to Lee's site and looked up custom crimp dies.
At $30 and $35 for the dies I figured I'd give them a try.

Three weeks after stamping the envelope I received dies for .357 AMP and .44 AMP.
I tried out a variety of crimps from moderate to very heavy and all cycled and performed extremely well.
I like a lot of crimp when using 296/110 and found it easy to crush the bottleneck on the .357 if I went too far - especially on Starline brass.
With these dies I could apply as much crimp as I wanted on the .357 without deforming the case.

The pic below is with the dies set to the best groups for each, though as accurate as the Auto Mag's are it was hard to choose Smile
(Bullets are 158gr and 240gr Hornady XTP; cases trimmed to 1.298"; 1.6" OAL)

jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:27am
There was no setup fee? 

Wondering what we could do if we bought say 5-10 of each?

Looks pretty good....
schwammy View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 2:25am
No setup fee on the crimp dies.

Don't know what they would do on a batch.
I know some of my other forums do group buys to get deals on custom services.
If there is enough interest it sure wouldn't hurt to ask.

I know they don't charge setup fees other than on the first for die sets and waive it at 25 sets.
That could/would be a huge savings if/when Brian is producing barrels in 41 JMP and/or we have a 40 KMP revival.

The .44 was for kicks since I have an RCBS crimp die and it is not a bottleneck.
It doesn't hurt that it works great Smile
The .357 I consider to be a true asset to my reloading bench.
Mohillbilly View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mohillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:45pm
schwammy  Those look real good  I'd like to get .357 , .41 , .44 , and the 45 Winmag .
omie01 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 10:47pm
Let me know if you guys do a batch buy, I'll get in on it too!
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 3:31am
schwammy,

What did you include in the envelope?  A couple of dummy rounds?

Thanks,

Jason
Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 3:28am
I want to buy some of these too, do you have to give them any info? Will check out the site now.
Thanks!
Matt
wbautomag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbautomag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:40am
I ordered a set of these in .44 & .357 about 10 weeks ago have not got them yet called them wednesday again  and they said they are runing about 8 weeks behind and said they are just now starting on my order date.Confused
Pontiaker View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pontiaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:46am
So i was ready to buy a pair of these seat dies but had an idea, I trimmed down one of my seat dies, just took off like a 1/16 th of an inch and it worked perfect! I can get my 44 crip as tight as I want it now.
Matt
wbautomag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbautomag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 12:03am
Man I ordered these Lee Factory Crimp dies back on March 7 and finally got them today and Iam ready to see how good they work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>