AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auto Mag Anniversary #40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Mag Anniversary #40
    Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:58pm
Group
I read on Wikipedia that the first Auto Mag was shipped 8/1971. I was still in high school but I already had the Guns and Ammo magazine with the story of Auto Mag on my desk.
I think we should all meet up at Max's place in PA in August and give him a 21 Auto Mag salute!
Gerry
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 1:57am
Well I can't quite make 21 Auto Mags, but if 10 of you show up at my house, I'll provide you each an Auto Mag and 2 rounds of flame-thrower ammo and I'll light off the last one for your 21 round, Auto Mag salute,,,  ;-) 

Who was that masked man,,,
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 11:23am
I'm In!
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 2:21am
Oh, and fair warning that you either need to bring your own gloves or "man-up" because when I say flame thrower, I mean it.   ;-)

I still have a bunch of my blockbuster "full case load" (of WW296) ammo and it blows a ball of fire that makes dragons back-off.  LOL

In all honesty, the worst powder burns I ever got from a pistol were from one of those mini-Casull 22Mag "belt-buckle" guns.

It was almost impossible to hold on to that thing and it would spray powder everwhere and leave you knuckles black and stinging! Not sure why I even shot it,,,

I remember seeing a picture of LEJ shooting a snubbie (Charter Bulldog maybe) with some smokin 44 Mag loads and a ball of fire that was too odd to discribe. It was almost a cone suspended in the air in front of the gun. Looked great in the picture, but I'll bet that was one interesting range session,,,
aklawok View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aklawok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Auto Mag Auto Mag wrote:

Oh, and fair warning that you either need to bring your own gloves or "man-up" because when I say flame thrower, I mean it.   ;-)

I still have a bunch of my blockbuster "full case load" (of WW296) ammo and it blows a ball of fire that makes dragons back-off.  LOL

is this a special recipe load? thought WW296 was a common powder for AM's...would love to make something like the "dragons breath" shotgun loads! even as a blank.
WHEN IN NOME, DO AS THE NOMENS!
ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD, BUT YOU CAN SEE IT FROM HERE!

73 KL1YJ
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 6:04pm
Aklawok
I think GH is referring to the LEJ loadings for the 44 AMP. I think his hunting load was a 180 gr Super Vel bullet over about 30-31 grs of 296. Being young and crazy once, I tried these and all I remember was a muzzle blast and flask liken to a M-80 going off thirty inches from your face.
The article GH is referring to was written by LEJ. He took a Ruger SBH with a 10" barrel and using the same load, chronographed the pistol as he took an inch off the barrel at a time. The picture was of him firing the SBH at 2" with no front site. It looked like a Marine from WWII with a flame thrower.
Oh the good old days!
Gerry
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Gerry Gerry wrote:

Aklawok
I think GH is referring to the LEJ loadings for the 44 AMP. I think his hunting load was a 180 gr Super Vel bullet over about 30-31 grs of 296. Being young and crazy once, I tried these and all I remember was a muzzle blast and flask liken to a M-80 going off thirty inches from your face.
The article GH is referring to was written by LEJ. He took a Ruger SBH with a 10" barrel and using the same load, chronographed the pistol as he took an inch off the barrel at a time. The picture was of him firing the SBH at 2" with no front site. It looked like a Marine from WWII with a flame thrower.
Oh the good old days!
Gerry

Don’t have the specs in front of me, but I almost want to say it was a tad bit more powder, like maybe 32-33 gr of WW296.  I remember having a tough time seating the bullets and having them stay put long enough to crimp them.  I would lightly tap the cases trying to get the powder to pack better.  LEJ spoke about putting a sealer or something on the case mouth to hold the bullet, and I even tried it once, but found that the powder just stuck to the sealer and was not worth the trouble.

The super high powder loads won’t work with most cases, I forget which case held the most powder I think it was either the CDM or Norma. I haven’t loaded at those levels in a while but I seem to recall that 308 brass (commercial or mil) held less powder than the Norma and CDM brass.

I don’t advocate such loads unless your gun is in top shape and you are willing to risk breakage, but if you do try it it’s like shooting a totally different gun.  When everything works it will leave you with a big SEG!!!

aklawok View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aklawok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 9:12am
i was thinking more along the line of a fire for effect round, magnesium powder or some similar alchemy. i just wont subject my AM to undue abuse. on the other hand my raging bull 454 puts out a similar snort factory porting and all.
WHEN IN NOME, DO AS THE NOMENS!
ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD, BUT YOU CAN SEE IT FROM HERE!

73 KL1YJ
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by aklawok aklawok wrote:

i was thinking more along the line of a fire for effect round, magnesium powder or some similar alchemy. i just wont subject my AM to undue abuse. on the other hand my raging bull 454 puts out a similar snort factory porting and all.

Guess you could use some of those plastic training bullets and load up a case full of Bullseye, no chance you would have anything break and it should blow most of the powder out the end of the Bbl where it would probably flash a nice big ball for a photo shot if thats what you are looking for???
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 11:43pm
GH and Et EL
Somewhere is my gunroom, I have the print out the P/V records LEJ posted on his old site. When I get a chance, I will scan them in and send them to Ian. Not sure of the liability of posting them but willing to share.
Have a good weekend, needs to get warm soon, I am getting cranky.
Gerry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>