AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who's making Automag grips out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 6:36am
Are you referring to grips like these?

Brian

curmudgeon View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 11:03am
The tea staining has been around as long as Ivory grips have been made, some just couldn't wait... No AM Medallion.Have put SV headstamped 44 Mag cases in several tho...
Ginsaw View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 5:54pm
Brian, those look like it. The yellow Micartas improve any gun's appearance drastically, be it highly polished presentation piece or plain "field grade".

Curmudgeon, the medallion I was thinking of is the traditional AM red, white and black design like the image shown on Ian's post above. It would go good with the colors you selected, but I don't know if you'd want to go there, or if someone owns the commercial rights to that image. Seems I once heard or read a comment to that effect, but can't recall for sure. I could understand how trying to create it - in enameled metal for instance - could be a challenge.

FWIW, the yellow grips I saw were many yrs ago on a presentation boxed Pasadena 44 (not engraved) with extra 357 barrel and reloading equipment that was up for sale locally. The ask at the time was $2K. 
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 7:22pm
Harry gave me permission to use the AM logo on the first Zippo lighters. Never thought about the use of AM logo or image as stock inlays...Once had SV enameled  lapel pins....No big deal to have it done with the AM logo, just doubted  if enough could be sold to justify the expense. I would ask Walter if he had any objection, as a matter of formality..
Ginsaw View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 11:03pm
As far as getting permissions goes, I wouldn't forget Hi Standard. I remember reading here that they have the rights to the AutoMag. You have to figure that includes any trademarks. So if I was selling grips with that logo I would cover my bases on it and get their written permission along with whoever else might have an interest. 

Speaking of HS AMs, I've been thinking about buying one of their AMIIIs. It would be an interesting novelty and probably fun to shoot. If it sells well it might encouarge other AMs to be built.
AUTOMAG View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUTOMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 11:50pm
I think that HS only has rights to the "other" AutoMag pistols (Automag ll and lll and so forth)and not to the original 44 Auto Mag. I think that Walter and his mother still hold the rights to it.  He gave me permission to use the logo a while ago for some lighters and the laser etching on some of the AM cases that I had.
"This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints"!!!
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 1:37am
Since I have NO plans for any AM logo use, its not a problem with me.
Ginsaw View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 2:57am
How does the Micarta compare to rosewood for shooting?

Happy 59th to paul v. !!!
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 3:22am

Hummm,,,,

Seen more broken Eagle grips than good ones, my experience is not good with them.

Now the Micarta seems virtually unbreakable!

I have 2 sets and one has seen some real rough use (many heavy loads) and they look perfect.

GH

Who was that masked man,,,
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 8:09am
Hey George, that's alot of grips you have there, Very nice!
I like the one on top right, the grey shade, is this wood or something else?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>