AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who's making Automag grips out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullethole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 12:55am

Keep me in mind!

usrguns View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usrguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2008 at 1:26am
Speaking of that Mr Jurras, When will they be available? and when are you taking orders?what will the cost be?
curmudgeon View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 1:24am
Will be Micarta only, Blacxk, White, Red, and Maroon...about 200....
Bullethole View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullethole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 2:11am

Just let me know how you want payment sent.  And you carve these out of white rhino horn? Heheheh

I assume these will fit the 160's 180's and all your customs. 
One of my 160's came with wood grips, and I am sure they were ordered with the guns, way back when.  What type of wood were they made of?
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 3:24pm
Made with a wide variety of domestic and exotic woods, too many to mention, very few were the same combination...I don't recall making any of just one type wood...Most had a combination of 3 to five species, with light and dark contrasting. Don't even remember how many sets. The Int'l series were black and white made up of Holly and Macasser Ebony. FWIW dept.
Ginsaw View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 8:08pm

It's rare for an AM to turn up in the Mid South, but I remember seeing one once that had what I now know were micarta grips, yellow in color - kind of antique looking. They probably came with the gun. I wouldn't mind a set like that. How are those done? Are they yellow to start with, or white that is stained? 

R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2008 at 11:11pm
Ginsaw, those were the good old days. That particular paper Micarta  is no longer available, it aged like Ivory, and even had a similar grain effect. The nearest available that I've found is the linen Micarta. But doesn't yellow like original or elephant ivory. I probably made 35-40 sets with that old Micarta. Wish it was still available.   ;-/
Bullethole View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullethole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 1:49am
Curmudgeon, in New mexico are you allowed to carry a holstered sidearm in public?
Rick View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 2:33am
I took a pair of new ruger white grips that I think was modern day Macarta and soaked them in very stong tea for 3 days and the white turned just a ever so light yellow....Rick
Ginsaw View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 3:57am
It's a shame those yellow Micartas aren't available today. They were some kind of nice. I've never seen anything else that has the same look. There are yellow grips out there, but in other materials. The closest I've ever owned was a pair of  HP grips that a gunsmith said were "franzilite" (not probably the right spelling). He thought they were a little gaudy for a Browning, but I liked them. Yellow outside, white inside and a hard but brittle resin like material. Never run across it elsewhere.

Curmudgeon, given any thought to including an AM medallion in the grips?

Rick, I remember reading that the Duke tea stained his the same way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>