AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Savage or Remington 308 Winchester

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 10:03pm
Luc, not in shooting with the Swaroski scopes but, they did give me a 3x12 to shoot and test a few years back. I told them the reticle was too large and it became larger with a magnification increase. They told me this problem was solved and had been changed with recent Manufacture. I have never tried one since so I can't say for sure. I have never heard of a durability problem tho. But 50 BMG can bring on problems that don't show up in other formats. Some still use the Leupolds on 50 BMG but its just a matter of when they go...when shooting 50's....Niteforce seems to have solved that problem. Why start with something that you know is going to have to be replaced. In fairness however unless shooting in comp most 50 BMG owners don't fire that many rounds at it could be 2-3 years before the scope gives up the ghost. This is not only my personal feelings but the same with many 50 BMG shooters...Cheers
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 12:38am
To add to the post

My brother Robert, a former Marine Sniper/Scout in the early 1980's  used a Model 700 customized by the USMC. It had a 22" barrel and they shot it out to 800 meters on MOVING targets.
From the website I found for LR shooters, the gain in velocity from 20" to 26" is about 200 fps or so.
Talk about reach out and touch someone!

Gerry
curmudgeon View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 2:35am
Gerry the Military loads for 2700 fps. The BR and F class  general shoot for 2550 t0 2600 fps...Both easily obtainable in a 20" bbl. The best accuracy is in the 2600 fps range. There is a big difference in shooting man sized targets at 800 yds than shooting 2" groups at the same difference. Hitting a man at 800 yds with a good 308 is not that big a deal with a little practice and a bit of wind doping  knowlege. In fact a coyote is pretty big compared to shooting 2 " groups at the same distance. Not to belittle the snipers at the least, but they practice alot. The best anymore are probably the Marines, but there are a couple Seals and Army shooters who might disagree...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12