AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BT Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbe
    Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 8:47am
Hello everyone,

Been touring the amp sights for years never posted though so I thought I would say hi.  Have a standard 44 amp that was handed down from 3 generations to me when I was a teenager. Had been shot less then 5 times.  They had trouble with trigger sear spring I think it is #37 off the top of my head.  A simple fix and it has performed with out a hitch since. I am now in my early 30's and feel like an unworthy kid as I was maybe 4 when Sudden Impact and Dirty Harry made the big screen.  I hope we may spark some interest and life back into the AMP forums I too remember previous forums and I'm sure all those guys are still out there.  Certainly not dissing this forum it just seems like there is less talk and info now days.

Reloading the AMP has been quite the experience for me. I get alot of satisfaction from making the brass myself and the first 300 case I reamed by hand I swore I would never do again.  But time passed and I enjoy the hobby so I bought 1,000 once fired 270 RP brass and away I went. I can allready here you say just buy the starline.  But like I said, everything necessary to make the brass was given to me.  My grandpa had an old craftsman heavy duty drill and a press to mount it in, I bolted it all to a table with a reloading press lined up underneath. I managed to bore a small hole threw the side of the reaming die just large enough to spray WD-40 inside while reaming inside case. Works great. I can size and ream close to 100 per hour while still keeping reamer cool and oiled. Bought a mini cuting wheel from harbor freight $20, works great for cuting brass to length and very fast. Attached a drill to a RCBS case trimmer and production time is very good now. Have got close to 2,000 prepped cases. Not sure I intend on shooting all of them in my AMP but I feel I can never have enough ammo stored up with the rise in prices now days. 

Just replaced the original recoil springs with the wolf springs but have'nt shot it yeat.  Did shoot last month over crony for first time. Was pleased to see numbers between 1250-1320 with 240 xtp and ww296 powder.  I'll have to check actual load but will be doing alot more testing soon.

Have rescently started a new hobby bullet swaging. Now I have taken all the 270 brass that I had cut up and with the left over neck shoulder and allitle of the brass body length made a very nice 255 grain brass jacket 44 cal hollow point. Have not shot them yet but will be soon.  I did shoot a swaged 250 grain bullet I made from 40 S&W brass whith good results.

Now a question for the experts out there.  My AMP is shooting low and left, so much so that I have the rear windage maxed out for corection. The elevation is not to much of a concern but the windage has got me puzzeled. As well my accuracy has not been very good either. I am confident in my reloading techniques but have not played with different loads yet. (using hornady 240 xtp and 21-22 gr 296).  I am just begining to strive for accuracy with this gun but I'm curious what results are typical for you guys at say 25 yards. Has any one noticed change in POI with different loads? Any ideas why gun would shoot so far left? I have tightend my grip while shooting and have improved groups allitle as I'm sure shooting technique has alot to do with it. I'll take any advise I can get.

Another question why was there no work done to the crown of the barrel coming from the factory floor? It looks as though it was sawed off to length and put in the box. I'm sure any flaws or dings would affect accuracy and it seems the crown is very exposed.

Well it's late and I don't want to make this book any longer than it allready is. When I figure this web sight out I'll post some pics. I also carved a set of custom grips also, not to difficult and great results.

Look foward to gaining more knowledge of the AMP.  Good shooting and happy new year.

Brian
Long Range View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2009 at 12:32pm
1 point is to use real reaming oil when reaming brass, Reamer will last much longer and brass will cut instead of tear. Pacific Tool and Gauge will resharpen or make you another reamer if you need.
I cut and ream my brass on a a lathe, I made a collate style shell holder from a Forester case trimmer. And a trimmer form a end mill with a live pilot. 120rd per hour with near 0 run-out.
When I form 357AMP cases I anneal the case mouths in the lathe with a propane dual torch set-up. Makes forming them much smother with 0 case loss.
Not sure about your low & left situation except to say a heavy trigger pull and improper hold of the gun will cause this. I would try shooting off a rest and maybe having another shooter shoot the gun.
I have re-crowned 2 AMPs over the years for the reason you mention, bad crown could also cause the low and left bullets.
Re-crowning will effect the collector value but if it's a shooter u may want to have it checked- re-crowned.
Rick View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2009 at 12:45am
Welcome Brian.........Rick
BT Sniper View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BT Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 10:17am
Thanks for the welcome.

Long Range thanks for the advise. I did have the crown fixed as it had a small but noticable ding in it. Have not shot it enough since to come to a conclusion as to what sort of change it has made.  Your lathe setup sounds perfect. Couple of questions? It sounds like you are able to ream the brass with out it in a ream die. It would seam the die would keep the brass walls from expanding causing uneven thickness in the brass. Not sure about this though, it sounds like your set up woks pretty good. So what do you do with all the left over cut brass neck and shoulders. I held on to mine and finally figured out how to use them as bullet jackets. With a swage die I am able to make a very nice 44 cal bullet for the AMP. I would be interested in any of the cut ends you or anyone else may have. The .308 case is to short but any of the 30-06 family brass works great.

Thanks

180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by BT Sniper BT Sniper wrote:

Thanks for the welcome.

Long Range thanks for the advise. I did have the crown fixed as it had a small but noticable ding in it. Have not shot it enough since to come to a conclusion as to what sort of change it has made.  Your lathe setup sounds perfect. Couple of questions? It sounds like you are able to ream the brass with out it in a ream die. It would seam the die would keep the brass walls from expanding causing uneven thickness in the brass. Not sure about this though, it sounds like your set up woks pretty good. So what do you do with all the left over cut brass neck and shoulders. I held on to mine and finally figured out how to use them as bullet jackets. With a swage die I am able to make a very nice 44 cal bullet for the AMP. I would be interested in any of the cut ends you or anyone else may have. The .308 case is to short but any of the 30-06 family brass works great.

Thanks
I use a piloted cut off tool to trim close to length (.020 long) , The shell holder I made for reaming & final length trimming is a 2 piece assembly with collete shell holder and ream die style collar to support the case and hold it true while it's being reamed and finally cut to length with a piloted end mill.
As to brass scraps I save them for recycling for cash.

180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 12:00pm

Hello everyone,

Just replaced the original recoil springs with the wolf springs but have'nt shot it yeat.  Did shoot last month over crony for first time. Was pleased to see numbers between 1250-1320 with 240 xtp and ww296 powder.  I'll have to check actual load but will be doing alot more testing soon.

Have rescently started a new hobby bullet swaging. Now I have taken all the 270 brass that I had cut up and with the left over neck shoulder and allitle of the brass body length made a very nice 255 grain brass jacket 44 cal hollow point. Have not shot them yet but will be soon.  I did shoot a swaged 250 grain bullet I made from 40 S&W brass whith good results.

Now a question for the experts out there.  My AMP is shooting low and left, so much so that I have the rear windage maxed out for corection. The elevation is not to much of a concern but the windage has got me puzzeled. As well my accuracy has not been very good either. I am confident in my reloading techniques but have not played with different loads yet. (using hornady 240 xtp and 21-22 gr 296).  I am just begining to strive for accuracy with this gun but I'm curious what results are typical for you guys at say 25 yards. Has any one noticed change in POI with different loads? Any ideas why gun would shoot so far left? I have tightend my grip while shooting and have improved groups allitle as I'm sure shooting technique has alot to do with it. I'll take any advise I can get.

25yd groups should be under 2in. When using Worked rifle brass and Win296 powder I use Fed210 Match primers. I also use a Sinclar primer pocket uniforming cutter and flash hole deburring tools. By doing so I've got my ES down to 20fps. 21grs of 296 gives me 1240-1250 fps. with 2in 50yd groups fired from the bench with a rest.
BT Sniper View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BT Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 8:02am
Long Range,

I would be willing to buy the scrap brass from you by the pound for more than the scrap yard would give you.  I can use anything but the 308 cut offs.  They make good bullet jackets.

Thanks for the info.

Brian
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 2:03pm

Long Range,

I would be willing to buy the scrap brass from you by the pound for more than the scrap yard would give you.  I can use anything but the 308 cut offs.  They make good bullet jackets.

Thanks for the info.

Brian
I'm contracted to sale it to a dealer that comes by and gets all my scrap, It builds up to fast for me to make a trip to the scrap yard a couple times a month.
But I'll try to save you some 30/06 next time I work some up. You pay shipping and you can have them.
BT Sniper View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BT Sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2009 at 5:27pm
Thanks

That would be great.  Ofcourse 25-06, 270, and 280 would work also. You must have quite the suply of formed brass to collect that much scrap.  Thats very nice of you for only the cost of shiping. I think I would have to send you a box of bullets for that deal. There is no hurry. When you get a box full let me know.

Brian
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Long Range Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 2:29pm

Thanks

That would be great.  Ofcourse 25-06, 270, and 280 would work also. You must have quite the suply of formed brass to collect that much scrap.  Thats very nice of you for only the cost of shiping. I think I would have to send you a box of bullets for that deal. There is no hurry. When you get a box full let me know.

Brian
I have a small Machine Shop out back and do all kinds of work and prototyping.
I'll save you the cut-offs from my next batch.
 Post Reply Post Reply