AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Longslide recoil guide rod question...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnidelyWhiplash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longslide recoil guide rod question...
    Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 10:05pm
On the Longslide I recently purchased I see it has a guide rod that seems to be a recoil reducer at the same time.  Is this standard for a Longslide?  The parts diagram simply shows a standard 1911 recoil guide rod so this may be aftermarket.

Rogue, raconteur and general pain in the ass.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 8:42am
Is that solid or does one part telescope inside the other?

Mine is highly conventional, nothing like that…..
SnidelyWhiplash View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnidelyWhiplash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 2:03pm
It telescopes...I don't know whether its spring loaded or some kind of pneumatic operation.  I simply don't know whether it's factory or aftermarket.  

I would think the extra mass of the slide would act as a recoil reducer and such a device wouldn't be necessary...but apparently someone felt it was needed.

I did find out the Longslide does not like eight round magazines.  With eight rounds it refuses to feed the first round.  With seven rounds loaded it works just fine.  The pistol came with an eight round magazine so I have to be aware of that fact...I'll have to pick up some seven rounders.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 5:47pm
The AMT magazines were junk. It’s not the number of rounds that is the problem. Any quality aftermarket magazine should work fine. I just shot my Javelina yesterday (10mm longslide) and noticed how much the recoil impulse is reduced by the added weight and nose-heavy feel. 

But I’m interested to know if anybody else has an arrangement like yours? I’ve never seen it before. 
SnidelyWhiplash View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnidelyWhiplash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:54pm
I also used a Wilson Combat eight round magazine...never an issue in any Colt I've shot it in.  It had the same issue with failing to feed with a full eight rounds loaded but worked fine with less.  

I'm planning on rebuilding the pistol...not really impressed by the workmanship overall but the pistol does function outside of the eight round issue.  I've already a supply of quality 1911 parts...some Wilson Combat...some Ed Brown...some Colt.  I'm going to get a match grade barrel and assemble it and see what it can do.  

Once that's done and I shoot it I will report back on the results with photos of the target.
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 11:08pm
A report afterwards would be great.  It may even help others with issues/problems.

That 2-piece guide rod reminds of what AMT did with some of the AMT-III 30 Carbine guide rods.

On some guide rods there is a little pin that protrudes from the end that rests against the barrel lug.  There is a hole in the guide rod that a tiny spring and the pin goes into.

I took apart two of my 30 carbine's and the guide rods were different.  1 has the added pin and spring, and the other is a "standard" solid guide rod.  I'm sure someone may be able to tell the difference when shooting them, but I cannot.

I wonder if AMT was toying with the idea of buffering the recoil by adding the extra spring-loaded parts.  Then realized "why are we going through the extra expense and hassle for a 2-piece guide rod?"

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
 Post Reply Post Reply