AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear sight indentification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear sight indentification
    Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 9:46pm
Browsing GB I ran across this for sale.  Can someone help identify the rear sight?  I don't remember ever seeing one like it.  Does anyone have any better picts of one like it that they are willing to share?

Thanks

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
SnidelyWhiplash View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SnidelyWhiplash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:09pm
It looks to be a Behlert rear sight.  Whether it's factory installed or owner-installed is an open question.
Rogue, raconteur and general pain in the ass.
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:14pm
Thanks!

Now I'm curious if there are off-the-shelf "alternatives" out there.
SnidelyWhiplash View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnidelyWhiplash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 11:00pm
The factory sight is very similar to the Millett sight which is no longer made.  I have a Millett replacement for the Colt Accro adjustable sight and compared it...it's a no-go on an Auto Mag unless you want to drill a new hole for the cross pin and holes for the elevation springs.  Maybe a Millett for a pistol other than Colt might work...maybe S&W, Dan Wesson or other...but that's just a guess.

The key would be to find what would interchange and then pick from whatever aftermarket sights are made for that gun.  It seems to make sense that the Auto Mag designers would pick an existing rear sight design and mill the pistol for that rather than custom design and source one just for their gun.  But...maybe that was a deliberate thing they did.
Rogue, raconteur and general pain in the ass.
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 12:00am
That is a Millett sight.  They used them at one point
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 11:16pm
I was wondering because there is only 1 hole drilled for the rear sight pin in the sight support area.  It just struck me as a very good retrofit, aftermarket or factory install.

I just noticed something...... it is on a model 280.

This is the only one that I have seen this way.

Thanks!
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:41am
The sight on the 280 is not a Millet, it is a sight made by a well known Gunsmith Austin Behlert.  They used some of his sights, if you look, his name is on it.

Behlert was a good friend of Jurras.  Lee said that Behlert made a custom gun for Elvis one time and Elvis liked it so much he kept him busy for over a year making pistols for Elvis to give to his friends.
Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 1:45pm

There is a story about Elvis ordering an Auto Mag.  Elvis supposedly ordered a Pasadena Auto Mag but he wanted serial number 666.   He was promised the gun but later it was discovered that the serial number 666 gun had already been made and had been shipped.  The factory worker who told me this story said that Elvis was eventually sent serial numbers 600 and 601 to create a consecutive-serial-numbered brace of Auto Mags.  There are no Auto Mags in the Graceland museum.  The curator of the Graceland museum Lavon, said that Elvis had a habit of giving away guns as gifts. 

Another Elvis story has it that he used an Auto Mag to shoot his TV when he saw something he didn’t like.  It is pretty well known that Elvis had a TV in his penthouse that he would shoot when he saw something he didn't like.  As Elvis did this on a regular basis, an inventory of new TV's were on hand to quickly replace the offending TV.  The curator of the Graceland museum Lavon, said nobody knows which gun he used to shoot the TV. 

An armed society is a polite society.
 Post Reply Post Reply