AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AutoMag Gunsmith

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetE8USN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AutoMag Gunsmith
    Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 1:10am
Anyone have the name of a good utoMag Gunsmith?  My 180 developed a problem at the range the other day.  One of the "legs" of the Trigger Spring" somehow jumped put of place and ended up sticking straight ut into the magazine well.

Without any complete disassembly instructions I couldn't get it fixed myself.  I am not inexperienced in firearms disassembly and can usually figure it out.  I tried to get the trigger out and couldn't.

You PM or e-mail me with gunsmith suggestions.....
Lance C View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
I seem to remember seeing that problem many years ago when I was working on AutoMags.  As I recall, the end of the spring broke off and allowed the leg to pop loose.  
I haven't done a total disassembly in 40 years, so I could be mistaken.  
Where in Florida are you?
RetE8USN View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetE8USN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 11:37pm
Thanks for responding....  I live in Port Saint Lucie, 35 miles north of west palm beach.  I see if I can find another spring and order one....
Lance C View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 2:23pm
I'm not at all sure the spring is the problem, it's just something I remember from long ago.  I could be wrong.
Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:24pm

The farther disassembly of the Auto Mag, beyond the basic inspection, should be done by an experienced gunsmith.  I have listed the order of disassembly as this order must be followed to successfully disassemble, and reversed, to reassemble the gun.  Only the two trigger adjustment screws #33, and the barrel latch #60, 61 & 62 can be removed and installed at any time.

The barrel, bolt, grips and magazine have already been removed from the frame during the inspection.  Here we start by removing the hammer and progress from there.  There are many subtleties in the removing and replacing of these parts that the experienced gunsmith will know. 

Kent Lomont told me that the assembly of the Auto Mag required a man with three hands.

1)         Remove the hammer assembly #51, 52 & 53 and its associated parts #49 & 50.

2)         Remove the safety leaver #45 and its associated parts, #30, 31, 32, 46, 47, 48, 54, 55,& 56. 

3)         Remove the Magazine Latch assembly #57, 58 & 59.   #59 is not a screw!

4)         Remove the hold open assembly #34, 35 & 30.

5)         Remove the Trigger assembly #38, 33, 39 & 40, and the Trigger Bar #36, 37 at the same time. 

6)         Remove the Bolt Safety Tappet #44.  Warning, it could fall out of the frame on its own!

7)         Remove the Sear #42 and its associated parts #41 & 43.   

8)         Remove the Barrel Latch #60 and its associated parts, #61 & 62.

9)         Remove the one trigger adjustment screw #33 that is in the frame.

An armed society is a polite society.
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 2:12pm
And you will need NEW retaining rings to reassemble it.  Don't reuse the old ones.

Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply