AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The New Automag Part 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 32>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 6:39am
Andy,

Nothing to be ashamed of as far as recoil control goes! There’s a lot of energy being imparted into your hands, and I would say you’re doing about as well as be can expected under the circumstances!
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 6:39am
(Deleted double post…)
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 5:44pm
Andy, I would want know what's the reason you removed the original lubricant and powdercoted the bullets?
Thanks.
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 9:17pm
Experimentaton with combinations, really.

The powdercoat increases the diameter of the bullet by about 2 thou', so I could then size that down - but more than that, I wanted to see if it gave any more (or less) protection against leading than bare lead bullets, seeing as these commercial ones aren't gas-checked.
GBertolet View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GBertolet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 2:36am
I frequently powder coat bullets. I have had very good results. Powder coating, of good quality, when applied properly, eliminates leading, at least it does for me. You can smash power coated bullets on an anvil, and the coating stays put. I have used coated bullets in rifles, as well as handguns, and have not noticed any difference in accuracy, between wax lubed and the powder coated.

I think coated bullets would be a perfect fit for the Automag. A low cost alternative for expensive jacketed bullets, and very inexpensive to get started with. You can size the bullets after coating, and the coating does not come off. I just gets burnished in the bullet. All I need is to get my Automag, to try it.
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 7:13am
Originally posted by AndyC AndyC wrote:

Experimentaton with combinations, really.

The powdercoat increases the diameter of the bullet by about 2 thou', so I could then size that down - but more than that, I wanted to see if it gave any more (or less) protection against leading than bare lead bullets, seeing as these commercial ones aren't gas-checked.

Andy whose powder coat product do you use. I've read  that Harbor Freight's works decently. I like the idea of red, white and blue boolits!

Jerry
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 3:02am
Jerry, this particular coat came from Eastwood (and is called Silver Vein).

I've tried the Harbor Freight paints when I first got into PC'ing my .45acp bullets and could never get them to work very well, especially their black. I almost gave up on PC until I tried Eastwood (bought an 8 oz bottle via Amazon) and now I do all sorts of colors just for kicks (ladies especially love them):

The jury is still out but I'm relieved that cast bullets in the Automag are, so far, promising.

tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 1:00am
Hey Andy, NICE video.  Did you actually see any sort of sight picture?

AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2021 at 6:31am
Thank you - yes, I was tracking the rise and fall of the front-sight against the target. 
bbqncigars View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbqncigars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 4:34am
I've run a few thousand  pc boolits through both my Coonan Classic and the .357 barrel on the AMP with zero problems.  You just have to have the case expander die set properly and the inside chamfered as you should with any plated boolit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 32>