AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ransom rest inserts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ransom rest inserts?
    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 5:53am
Does anybody have a set of Auto Mag grip inserts for a Ransom Rest they aren’t using? A friend just bought a Ransom Rest and I’m curious to see how my guns and loads work in ideal conditions....
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:58am

Hi Mike,

Yes I have a set, but please allow me to make some remarks about testing the Automag in a ransom rest.

I did that and got some very dissapointing results. (see link below for full details)

You will get much more reliable results with the pistol resting on a sandbag. Just make sure only the front of the frame is laying on the sandbag, not the barrel. Automag’s have to much ‘play’ between upper and lower to trust the results from a ransomrest. The front and rearsights are both on the upper (barrel+extension) and that is all you need to aim correctly. Just carefully hold your aiming point to same spot everytime. 

However, if you still want I can loan you the ransom inserts if you pay the international shipping…

http://amtguns.info/44-amp-ramshot-load_topic1435_page2.html
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 1:51pm
Okay, thanks Luc! It never occurred to me that the AM would be poorly suited for testing in a rest. I forgot the grips play an important role in keeping some parts in position inside the pistol. I think I will skip the idea and just stick to testing the old-fashioned way.

Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply