AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do we know about Javelinas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 11:26pm
Update: the slide is back from William and needless to say it is PERFECT!  Thanks again William!  Thumbs Up

The Kimber grip safety was hopeless and will be returned, but the generic one I got was identical to the one I returned already, except that one dropped right in and the new one needed a whole bunch of filing. I reconsidered the situation and decided that I shouldn’t have sent the first one back, so I took a deep breath and started filing the second one. 

After much faffing about, it’s installed (along with Pachmayr grips) and thanks to being substantially lower at the rear, it clears the hammer:

Here you can see the large gap between the bottom of the safety and top of the mainspring housing. This is why I returned the first one although in retrospect I should have just kept it!

Ah geez, that pic won’t upload for some reason. You’ll just have to take my word for it. 

It is now much more comfortable to hold. I plan to shoot the living daylights out of it!  Hopefully the trigger pull will improve with break-in, but if not I will have to find somebody that can improve that for me.

I really like this thing! 

Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:19am
Very nice and good to hear that William was able to fix it for you!

Thumbs Up
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
KMP View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 4:21pm
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:06pm
Another fun day at the range yesterday, putting 100 rounds through my Javelina. 50 were weak Remington 180gr FMJ factory ammo (loaded to 40 S&W velocities) and the others were my own handloads, 10.0gr Blue Dot with a 180gr hard cast lead FP.

The trigger is still awful, the action still feels gritty, and yet it’s remarkably accurate and easy to shoot well. I can only imagine how much better it will be once I get the trigger sorted out. 

I did have three identical malfunctions. Failure to eject, with the partially ejected case getting jammed into the barrel hood (and wrecked) while the next round in the magazine is attempting to feed:

So I’m not quite ready to trust it with my life, but I’m having a lot of fun with it! 
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:32am
I would increase the load with that type of stoppage.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 4:09am
Yes, I think it was the weak sister factory ammo that caused the problem. However, by coincidence I think the failure always occurred with the second to the last round in the magazine.  Maybe not a coincidence? Also could have been limp-wristing although I don’t think so. I had the same failures with the same ammo last time I shot it too. 

My handloads are to original pressures, not the 10mm lite that seems to be all the rage these days. So I anticipate I should get more reliable performance with those.  FWIW I had no problems with the factory ammo in my Colt Delta Elite on the same day. 

I need to break the Javelina in a bit more. It sure is fun to shoot though. I am planning an extensive session at the reloading bench in the near future followed by yet more 10mm shooting! Thumbs Up
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:05pm
As you get to the last rounds in the magazine, the spring pressure pushing up gets less.  The top round in the magazine actually helps eject the spent casings when you are firing.  As the pressure gets less, it gives less help.

I have shot a lot of 'lower power' loads in 10mm and a little more powder will usually solve any ejection problems.
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 1:14pm
I would also reccomend testing with quality factory ammunition. That long slide is heavier as a regular one and need some more speed to cycle well.
It looks as your empty case is not getting fast enough out of the way.
Try some fiocchi or Norma if you can find some.

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 3:28pm
Luc,

Sadly, this is the USA. Factory ammo is simply not available anymore—all the stores around here have been completely sold out for months. And Fiocci and Norma ammo imported from Europe was rare and exotic (and expensive) even before it all became unavailable. Most US 10mm ammo has been loaded down to 40 S&W velocities, which is dumb.

Fortunately I reload my own, and stocked up on primers last year (it’s impossible to buy primers here anymore too). I can dump enough powder into the case to blow the slide clean off the gun if I want to. LOL

I won’t do that of course, but I will load some genuine full-power ammo and give that a try next time. 
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:59pm
Another fun day at the range with the Javelina (and my 6.5-inch 357 Auto Mag). As before, I had several jams with the second to last round, always exactly the same:

I was using two different loads—10.0 gr and 10.4 gr of Blue Dot with a 175 gr lead flat point. 

Maybe I need to turn up the steam a bit. I have since run out of Blue Dot and switched to AA #7. I will try some of those next time to see if the problem continues. 

I fired 150 rounds and only had this happen three times. 

As an aside, I continue to be astounded at how accurate this gun is, especially considering the very marginal trigger pull. It is a very GI-feeling trigger, with tons of creep, and yet I can still shoot groups featuring clover leafs (and a few fliers which open them up a bit) at 15 yards. This is an exceptionally accurate gun, and very easy to shoot as well. At some point I am going to have a trigger job done and then it will really be terrific. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>