AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do we know about Javelinas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do we know about Javelinas?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:06pm
All,

Who has experience with the Javelina Longslide they can share?  I have always been irrationally attracted to the Hardballer Longslide although I have heard the quality of the regular Hardballer was horrendous. There seemed little justification for a 7-inch 45 ACP, but it would seem the platform would really benefit a stronger cartridge like 10mm.

I have been offered the chance to buy a Javelina Longslide that is “custom built by Karl Sokal” (whatever that means?) with an asking price of $2000.  Before I do something stupid, please help me determine if this is worth doing at all, and if so, what a reasonable price might be?  Supposedly it runs perfectly.

What is their reliability like? Although they look very 1911, do all the parts directly interchange or does it differ internally so that a parts breakage would turn it into a paperweight?  How accurate are they? I have an original Colt Delta Elite (not the later Gold Cup version) and it works great. I would hate to spend a bunch of money on an AMT that shoots shotgun patterns.

I promised myself no more guns......LOL
jkelley209 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkelley209 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 7:08pm
An AMT IV 10mm Long barrel sold yesterday for $3000.00 Rock Island Auction
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:10am
Asking a more focused question now—does anybody know the specific type of stainless steel used in their constriction? I know the metallurgy of the various components of the Auto Mag has been researched and that information is available, but I’ve never heard anything similar regarding the Hardballer and Javelina?

This isn’t just a theoretical question—I have a genuine need (or at least strong desire) to know.  Thanks!
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

There seemed little justification for a 7-inch 45 ACP

I thought the same thing. The 7" guns just looked stupid. But I've been shooting a 6" longslide for a while now and I love it. The extra weight up front makes it a lot more stable when I point it. I was sort of keeping an eye open for a 7" AMT until prices started climbing, but Fusion makes a 7" slide now... the 7" guns don't look silly at all now.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:35am
Originally posted by TRX302 TRX302 wrote:

Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

There seemed little justification for a 7-inch 45 ACP

.... the 7" guns don't look silly at all now.

I feel the same way about 8.5-inch vent rib Auto Mags. I always thought they looked faintly ridiculous but the look is starting to grow on me....
wbautomag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbautomag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 3:04am
Mike I dont know what kind of SS metal there made of but if your wanting to know for a welding project I know that 308 rod works really well on these gun frames.
I also have a Javelina 10mm longslide and really like it shoots very well.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:48pm
I see the seller on GB answered your question.

Did you win the auction Mike?
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by BEEMER1 BEEMER1 wrote:

I see the seller on GB answered your question.

Did you win the auction Mike?

Beemer—actually I didn’t see any on GB until just now. I wound up passing on the one I had originally been offered because it had been Cerakoted black. But then I bought a different one locally, which was essentially NIB. It had only 15 rounds through it and came with everything—box, paperwork, two original mags, four Metalform mags, range bag, and 485 rounds of (weak) Remington factory ammo. It also had Hogue grips and a mag funnel, both of which instantly went on eBay.

I would post pics but the forum software is getting finicky again and won’t let me. I will keep trying.

It’s magnificent. Extremely accurate, and easy to shoot. The 5.5 lb trigger is pretty awful. 

The longer barrel doesn’t help velocity as much as you might expect, only adding about 100fps. But recoil is noticeably lighter than my 5-inch Colt Delta Elite, and I think it’s more accurate than the Colt too (perhaps attributable to the superior sights and longer sight radius).

It hasn’t proven 100% reliable unfortunately although much of the problem can be attributed to the factory magazines which seem to be junk. 

The cycling seems a bit rough when compared to other 1911s, even with the spring removed. After firing 150 rounds through it I found the cause—there is an occlusion on the underside of the slide, a casting flaw apparently. The disconnector rides up into it whenever the slide moves forward or back, rather like hitting a pothole, which slows the slide and creates malfunctions occasionally.  I think it needs to be TiG welded then machined back to spec and then it should run perfectly. That’s why I was asking what kind of steel is used—I was considering having a local welder/gunsmith try to fix it. But the more I think about it...

Sounds like a job for our own William Bryant! Clap
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:08pm
And by complete coincidence, Gun Jesus just released a video on them this morning!

BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 6:49pm
Sounds like the rails could use a little lapping.

I have always stayed away from the AMT stuff except the auto mags.  I looked at so many at gun shows where the slide/frame fit was so rough and many were all galled up from improper lube.  I never saw one I wanted.

Good luck with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>