AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lee E. Jurras-marked 357 AM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee E. Jurras-marked 357 AM?
    Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 3:59pm
All,

This popped up on GB:

A gun with no markings apart from Lee Jurras’ name and town. Pasadena grips. The seller claims it’s a 357 which I don’t doubt based on the slim barrel profile, although I don’t see it marked as such anywhere.

The seller is quite proud of it as reflected in the asking price. 

Is this a super-duper rare collectible or a lunchbox gun, or something in between?

Just curious...undoubtedly some here will likely know and hopefully share their knowledge with us. 
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 4:20pm
I saw it also this morning.

Looks like a 357 barrel that has been buffed to clean up scratches or stains and remarked with whatever the owner wanted.  Who knows what it is but I have never seen a LEJ pistol marked like that.

Stay away!
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 1:15am
I'm always always fascinated with how value is assigned to certain items. Firearms are not only no exception there have been some real wild claims about certain guns over the years. So far I've been immune to the draw of guns associated with notable personages.

Harry Sanford touched this gun once
This one has Harry Sanford's signature
That gun over there was breathed on once by Lee Jurras.

The the gun in question even has a "has a stainless finish"... of course it does.. "It IS stainless steel!

Jerry
Rocketthon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 11:32am
Anyone remember when Lee moved to NM?  If correct my communication with him was that he had divested himself of all Automags around the same time.  Never heard of him marking one with his last address.

If touched by or breathed on means anything for value my friends AM that he bought directly from Harry at a gun show in SD late 1974 should be real valuable :-)
When you are up to your neck in alligators it is hard to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 2:00pm
I know that some of LEJ's later custom guns had the New Mexico address but I have no idea how many.  Here is one.

Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 5:43pm
I was once offered an Auto Mag that would be available at an estate sale.
The gun had once been owned by BUDDY HACKETT himself.
Because of the guns celebrity heritage, the gun was for sale at $5,000.
Nothing against Buddy, but, it's just a production gun with a story.  Geek

As for Lees' .357:

A good Auto Mag huckster could discover that this gun is the long lost personal hunting handgun of Lees'.
He did like the .357AMP in a 6.5" barrel. 
It is mag-na-ported and a has a Jurras failsafed safety leaver so it is "custom."
Maybe some long lost paperwork will surface.
A fine addition to any ones collection. 
You will have "bragging rights". 
Very rare, scarce and hard to find.
Don't let this one pass-by.
Etc., etc.
Wacko
BS
An armed society is a polite society.
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 7:32pm
I went to a Gun auction yesterday in Orange Ca and there was a 280 Auto mag with 4 extra barrels and 2 mags in a presentation case and an invoice that they claim was signed by Clint Eastwood when it was delivered to Malpaso - Clint Eastwood's production company. 
I looked at it and the signature of who received it, it did not look right, it did not say Clint Eastwood but i'm not an expert on his signature but funny thing was a business card from Auto mag with Bruce Stark's name on it was stapled to it, bid started out at $3000 and ended at $ 14,250 and that's before you add a 20% buyers premium and sales tax plus FFL costs, that's around $ 18,660.75
I would have bid but I think the facts were embellished a bit to make it out more than it was, there were no vented barrels all were A-taper.
The story about the gun was the best, the person that was selling the Auto mag set won it in a poker game at Aaron Spellings house, they did not elaborate when all this took place.

Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 1:02am
Did anyone else notice what appears to be a screw in the rear sight blade? 
It is just below the sight notch. 
I would guess it is used to secure the blade
to keep it from jiggling around and breaking the screw while under fire.
If you have seen the slow-motion video of the gun under fire, the rear
sight takes quite a beating.
Not such a bad idea if your not too concerned about "originality" or you have
a spare blade.

Maybe this was Lees' gun. 

Ermm
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 10:35pm
Bruce
I did and was wondering don't you loose all your vertical windage site blade adjustment ?????????, looks like it might
That card with your name on it had some hand written notes on the back side but they would not allow me to take a pic, the invoice was all typed out and whats  strange it was stapled to the bottom right side of the invoice ????????
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2019 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by edkel1 edkel1 wrote:

Bruce
I did and was wondering don't you loose all your vertical windage site blade adjustment ?????????, looks like it might

You might just have something there Ed !

That card with your name on it had some hand written notes on the back side but they would not allow me to take a pic, the invoice was all typed out and whats  strange it was stapled to the bottom right side of the invoice ????????

What does it all mean ?  A staple you say. 

Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>