AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GO, No GO, Field gauges set for 44 AMP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GO, No GO, Field gauges set for 44 AMP?
    Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 2:45pm
Hi,
I would love to have a set of gauges GO-NO Go-Field for my Auto Mag in .44AMP.
Do you know a company who would make a custom set for me?
Anyone else interested?
golden24 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by John Nada John Nada wrote:

Hi,
I would love to have a set of gauges GO-NO Go-Field for my Auto Mag in .44AMP.
Do you know a company who would make a custom set for me?
Anyone else interested?

I would also be interested !Clap
Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:56pm
Here are some Auto Mag tools.  The factory .44AMP and .357AMP go no-go gauges are shown on the left.  A tool to hold the frame, an 8-48 tap for grip screw holes, a reamer for the bolt ring on the frame and a reamer to clean up the recoil-rod holes.  On the right, three chamber reamers. .357AMP, .44AMP and 8mmAMP.
Cheers

Here is another picture of some more factory tools.  The cut-a-way magazine was used for testing before the new magazine design was finalized. 
This modified frame is my favorite.  This fixture was used to adjust the gun-drill machine's actual drills to the correct location, angle and depth.  One would chuck-up this fixture in the gun-drill and run the static drills into this fixture.

Nothing for sale.  Just some old pictures.

An armed society is a polite society.
John Nada View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Dances with AutoMags Dances with AutoMags wrote:

Here are some Auto Mag tools.

I guess it isn't for sale?
golden24 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Dances with AutoMags Dances with AutoMags wrote:

Here are some Auto Mag tools.  The factory .44AMP and .357AMP go no-go gauges are shown on the left.  A tool to hold the frame, an 8-48 tap for grip screw holes, a reamer for the bolt ring on the frame and a reamer to clean up the recoil-rod holes.  On the right, three chamber reamers. .357AMP, .44AMP and 8mmAMP.
Cheers

Very nice indeed !
aklawok View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aklawok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2019 at 8:29am
to what purpose would you need a chamber guage outside of the factory?
There is no adjustment possible, except through handloading, I have made dummy loads of o/s cases just to see what would fit in my 44. And this is required to handload 357amp. As it does not seat on the case mouth like the 44.
WHEN IN NOME, DO AS THE NOMENS!
ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD, BUT YOU CAN SEE IT FROM HERE!

73 KL1YJ
John Nada View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 8:18am
Just to check the gun, and to see were the bolt isn't closing.
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 7:27pm
I always thought that what the handloaders loved  to do,  to make loads that "fit" the gun/chamber to make it shoot the best.

Do you really think you have to have a stationary gauge? Has it been shot that much? There was a thread about making a test/dummy load to check what your chamber is so you can make the best for your barrel. 

Is it you do not handload and want to get it checked? I'm at a loss as for the expense of them for this firearm as I have read most chambers vary.

I'm not a handloader, so just asking to understand why the need for them on this firearm.
WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:13pm
This thread leads to a lot of questions:

1. It is assumed that ALL guns ever shipped would fit and shoot safety a spec length case 1.296-298" fitted with appropriate bullet capable of being fed through the magazine with and AOL of 1.610".

A Go/No Go dummy would serve no purpose if the above is true as it would always be go given the gun was machined to the correct tolerances to begin with.  And I'm more than confident they all did.

2. If the question is simply a matter of will it function then again I think the first point answers that question again.

Now if you're looking to hot load and make the most of the life of the pistol then we're talking a whole other matter.  As I addressed briefly in my post concerning replacement reamers.  Head spacing the pistol for preparing properly cut to length cases for loading hot is critical if you intend to shoot it a fair bit and have it not wear out the components critical to it's handling the heat.

I own two guns currently.  One is well used in excellent condition but it is certainly 'looser' than the other.  The amount of play in the bolt lugs is .002-.003" over that of the other gun which hasn't been hardly fired at all.  Both are just as crisp and accurate but the little extra play in the bolt lugs lend to additional wear over time when loading it hot.  The hotter the load the less play you want between bolt face and case so the case's rearward movement is at it's most minimum capable of properly cycling the pistol's action.  The least amount of play is generally around .002" of headspace.  My one gun has a finished case length of 1.302" and will cycle perfectly with 1.303" cases also.  That's .007" longer than the minimum spec length case dimension.  Big deal you say in the back of your mind.  Well how big a deal is it if a 40,000 CUP case beats against the bolt from .007" over and over and over for hundred of rounds.  The running start if you will that the case gets prior to smacking the bolt face causing excessive wear on the bolt and barrel extension lugs.  If we cut the run down to the minimum allowable the wear is only the initial push from the case not a running start.

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Lee's Summit, MO
816-377-3185
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:10am
I can see a G-NO-GO gauge as being a necessity if one is building guns.

All of the others wrote to the same points but perhaps I missed something. Am I correct that the
44AMP headspaces on the case mouth? No adjustments can easily be made to the gun. Best and least expensive solution to out of spec gun is 'fitted' ammunition.

If the purpose of having a gauge set is just to determine if the pistol will close on a NO-GO gauge can't you accomplish the same thing by taking a chamber cast and carefully measuring it?

What did I miss?

Now I'm going to hunt down the specs so I can machine a gauge set from oil hardening tool steel I have!

Jerry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>