AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AMT III Shell Casings Marking Up Slide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 2:48pm
oh by the way XP001, I like your sense of humor...
That stipling does look rough in the picture, but picture are Always overdue the details.
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:04pm
Yes, the filemanager does have problems. I had the same troubles uploading.
I think this site needs an update.

In the mean time, try to upload and link pictures to a (free) picture hosting site such as Slickpic, photobucket etc.
SteveS View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:24pm
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 8:32pm
Yes, your ejector is bent. You can try to fix it by hammering it back inline on a flat surface. It's worth the try.

That is the reason I make them wider, to fill the groove in the frame completely.
The wider ejector also "rides" in slide better and can no longer bent like that.

Here's the Original ejector compared to my homemade ejector on the right. (never mind the yelow marks, it's an old picture of my .50 and 10mm magnum) The ejectors are the same.
Almost twice as wide and fill the frame and slidegrove completely. No more space to bent.

XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 3:31pm
If you make them thicker to fill that spot and slide groove would it also make them stronger to avoid that bending? How did it get bent like that? Stuck casehead in breechface or ? Hard to think what would cause that force to bend it unless someone thought to "adjust" it to help it work better.
Any thoughts?

You can also make a new one with the thicker metal and see if it stops that banging although you have to try harder now to confirm it as the pinpricks won't show it now as plainly . As the shells brounced off the slide where did they end up going? Just at your feet or over your head or ?
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 3:51pm
Another thought, maybe it got bent because when somebody was reassembling this they pushed the ejector into it's final position and then "rammed" the slide rearward onto frame thus slamming the back side of slide into the front end of ejector causing it to bend like that. Then realized the ejector position issue, reset it properly and reinstalled slide not realizing the damage done by the bend.
Well this sounds like it was the cause unless someone can make another situation . It fits perfect as it looks like a crumble bend, more than just one angle bend than a angle bend that a person might do.
SteveS View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 3:56pm
since I was unfamiliar with AMT I didn’t actually realize it was bent when I got the gun. It almost looks like the previous owner bent intentionally but there where no marks on the slide when I got the gun so maybe they never actually fired it.

I only ran 100 rounds thru it and didn’t notice the marks until maybe my second box but wasn’t really looking for marks there. Was really just focused on testing both mags and both ammo types I brought   Maybe it did bend during my range trip. The ejection pattern looked perfect. 45 degree 3ft or so away
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 3:58pm
I have done this but I never "rammed" the slide back into it as I slowly slide  it back to find it didn't go back enough, that's when I spotted the ejector end sticking up stopping the slide.
Live and learning still. 
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 4:05pm
Wow, only 3 feet! Mine throws them shells 6-9 feet, it's a bear to find them in the grass. Now sure how bad it would marked the rear of slide if that was the cause but it would only take one good ram to do it. If you look good it has the look of being smashed back into (more than one bend/angle) if it was an adjustment I would think it would have only one bend in it.
SteveS View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 4:10pm
seems like the assembly and disassembly went smooth so not sure anything was rammed. I did notice it’s super easy to bend the ejector straight again.  Very soft metal geese. Unless this wasn’t properly heat treated 

Given how clean the gun was, I wonder if the first owner had issues with assembly and disassembly.  Jammed the ejector and never bothered taking to the range.   The gun looked unfired when I got it 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>