AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Part 37 - Trigger bar spring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Part 37 - Trigger bar spring
    Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:28am
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice.

I was shooting last night and one of my automage was just not firing.

After a little look about and comparing it to my functioning AutoMag it looks like I am in need of a new spring.

Afterlooking at the functioning automag:

Functioning automag : right hand side

Non functioning automag : right hand side

As the spring is not applying any kind of tension the trigger bar is not getting any engagement and has the feel of the safty being on all the time.

So what can anyone tell me about the spring? Sadly, it may not be something I can replace easily so I am looking for number of coil’s it is supposed to have, rate etc etc so I can go on the look in the UK for something that can be used.

The next question will be hot to replace it without stripping the pistol down Smile but lets find one first.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:59pm
A couple of observations:

You may want to take the time to do a full tear-down and cleaning, I think I see powder foulings and coagulated oil.

I think your initial problem was not a failure of the spring, but one of the epoxy that holds the spring in place at its base.

In later guns, they drilled/machined a pocket for the spring to sit in to prevent the damage you are experiencing now that the spring is floating around unrestrained from the surface is should sit on.

The spring itself should not be hard to find, I think you will find it without too much trouble from the several vendors currently marketing AM parts.

Its should be a quick fix, than back to the fun of burning massive quantities of powder ;-)

ATB

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
Rocketthon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:05pm
I agree with the cleaning.  another thing to check is the rotate spring, my gun right now is going to get a tear down and clean which should include taking the bolt spring out of the cocking piece and cleaning the old off and putting new on.  While you are at it the sear spring right behind the spring that is broken in the pictures needs to be checked and made sure it is secure in its little mount pocket and has good tension. a failure there will cause a double fire, I know that real well and it will scare the crap out of you.
When you are up to your neck in alligators it is hard to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:31pm
People often ignore the hammer springs as well, it seems to be a place where lots of dirt builds up if you shoot enough.

Thats why I suggested a full teardown.

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:54pm
Search on "springs" and there's a chart I made with all of the Auto Mag springs by coil and wire diameter, length, and end shape.

Wait, here it is: http://www.amtguns.info/which-spring-is-which_topic1049.html
Ian View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:18pm
Thanks all,

While there may be quite a few places in the US to order the dprings getting them to ship to the UK is a bit of a nightmare.

George Good spot, I did not even see the missing epoxy something to take down with me when I find the replacement spring.

Thanks Dave, with the information in the spring post I have all I need to find what I am looking for.

I will also begin a full strip down and clean of both of them as they will be almost as bad as each other on SUnday when I can get access to them again, that may take longer than finding the spring, the jous of British gun laws.

Ian
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 5:16pm
Ian
Are you saying no one will send you springs because of British gun laws ????????
Just a FYI Brian is no longer selling any Auto mag parts, he is making an inventory list for a potential buyer so does anyone have an idea of others that might have that part ???????? 
I would try contacting Bruce Stark or Patrick at the new Auto Mag Inc or maybe a member might have one or more they are willing to part with ???????
If you get me the part number I will see who has them and get you as many as you want and mail them to you Wink just let me know.
That's one of the reasons of this board, to help one another out.
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 5:20pm
TRX302
Any chance of you sending that spring chart to my email   Wink  ?????????????
I would really appreciate that Smile
Thanks
Ed
edkel1@sbcglobal.net
" Right turn Clyde "
Ian View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 5:33pm

Hi Ed,

No for a change the UK government would be OK with them as they are just springs as they are not seen as a component part of a gun, the same goes for mags, grips etc etc. It would be items like the finished frame, barrel and other component parts that would be an issue on this side of the pond.

As the springs are gun parts it is my understanding that they fall under ITAR as they are gun parts, the last things I would want if for anyone to get in trouble hence the need to get the spring specifications so I can find something in the UK.   

Ian

edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 5:43pm
Ian
If you change your mind plmk.
Don't those springs work for other items too Wink ????? and just wanted to let you know about Brian's for parts, it's just going to get harder and harder to find spare parts.
Let me know if I can help you out in any way
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>