AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holster-making

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holster-making
    Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 5:53pm
I have never really wanted to get into making leather holsters but since meeting up with a custom leather-maker 2 months ago and hearing silence since then, I have little choice.

I want an OWB holster for my AutoMag so I guess I'd better do it myself. To that end, I found a picture of sorta-kinda the style that would suit me (Safariland 103 for inspiration) and looked at a Sam Andrews video on how he traces a handgun to make a pattern for a holster and how to use a leather strip to make sure the thickness of the leather is accounted-for. Interesting stuff and I'm sure I'll mess it up, but I have plenty of leather left and can always start again:

I'll add to this as I progress; it'll likely be slow as I'm doing this all manually with no machines.
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 2:49pm
Cut out and dyed; I like the marbled texture:

WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 3:57pm
Andy,

I kinda thought that too so I found a local leather smith to work up custom piece.  I consider myself a bit unique and thus wanted something to match that personality so I order up some black stingray skin to have the holster made from.  It turned out incredible!  Touch as nails, quick release snap strap and 100% retention.

I'm going to have a few more made up for those interested and will advertise on the for sale section later but wanted to share the initial results with you.

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
816-377-3185
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 8:48pm
That's slick, Bill - very unique!
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 12:04am
I’ll take a lefty version with a belt clip (not loop). PM me for my info if you’re taking orders...thx
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by USA 1776 USA 1776 wrote:

I’ll take a lefty version with a belt clip (not loop). PM me for my info if you’re taking orders...thx

You're wanting outside the belt clip on style I would guess?  Let me do some research with the maker and see if he can get those clips.  The lefty is no problem I'm sure.

Text me your contact info to start a dialog please.

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
816-377-3185
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:17am
First-ever saddle-stitches done holding the belt-loop in place (more to come for strengthening, but this will do for tonight). Edge holes added - I had to count that there were the same number on each side...

AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 5:00pm
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 5:26am
Here we go - dunked in warm water for 5 seconds to make it pliable, then folded over the pistol like a taco. It'll dry overnight (without the pistol for now) then get stitched:

USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 8:00am
I assume you wrap the gun in plastic before covering with wet leather?
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>