FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automag case replacement handles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automag case replacement handles
    Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:49am
Originally posted by mrglasgow65 mrglasgow65 wrote:

USA1776 - Just for the record, these are made by my hands in the basement of my home in Indiana.  The 'Chinese Tariffs' was a joke to try and lighten the situation.  I could tell from your very first post that you were never going to buy one, especially if you only had $10 to spend (and quite honestly, given how much you think things are worth, I think you probably buy a lot of cheap Chinese goods!).  And, from the sounds of it, you work for the US Postal Service, since you are an expert on what things cost to ship.  Please do the forum a favor and move on to some other post.LOL

Sorry I didnt get the chinese joke. And I assumed that if you must charge so much for the item, you would want to ship it as cheap as possible. Nobody usually NEEDS Priority mail and shows respect to your customers.

No, I wont buy one, but it meets a perceived need for some, so thx for the effort.

Oh, and maybe try not to post when your in a bad mood already? If you did know what I own, you'd show alot more respect!
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
dbailey View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 3:00am
just installed my new handle. Looks great. Works great. 
Thanks for making these. 
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 1:52am
Well I guess I use the word "profit" badly, it was meant more of a way to re-coop money spent for the materials to get the product made to make his part needed plus nice enough to offer for sale it to others who just can't hold a hammer without dropping on his foot and breaking  it (the foot that is). I would never try to make molds, resin parts or other odds parts but appreciate those that wanted it for themselves and figure others would too and are offering it at any price so took the chance on doing it with the hopes of breaking even in the long run. This isn't a maga profit item, lol! Come on how many handles is he really going to sell? Get real here folks, he spent hours setting up to do this, make molds, test materials and such. I would never expect to pay him $1.50 because that's maybe what the resin materials cost is, that isn't the whole picture as I see it. So people think the other $28.50 is profit but it really isn't. If I wanted/needed this part it would be mine without bitching about the small profit(which isn't yet) he would make I would just appreciate he offered it.

As far as profit selling something you brought that isn't what you thought and now you want to sell it off. It isn't evil to make money on something others would want, that's why we have a free market system. If you want to give it away or sell it at a loss, it's yours to do that. Good Karma for you! I have given my time to inform others and sent files to them to help inform them without even a thought as well as others here have done also. That's what makes this a great board.
I'm not rich by any means so selling for a loss is no way going to happen with me. I always re-invest in something so what come to me goes to others and makes the world work.

You will always get people that come and go. I call that cycle "the burn out", they start out seeing/doing something, then want to learn more/get it, go full steam ahead, see something else, want it and move on to the next interesting thing. Most people take 5 yrs for the cycle, some a little shorter. Then there are lifers, they know every part, story, version, model, experience it all and still enjoy being around it or doing it and they share it with anybody willing to listen. There are a lot of them here with that description.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by XP001 XP001 wrote:

No offense to anybody on the personal level here but sometimes you guys crack me up and are great entertainment! For free also!! It does open ones eye to many ways of thinking and allow a lot of other points of view that I would even dream of. Since buying and selling things in this hobby I have learn and seen many comments that amaze me. I can understand most but not justify every one of them to being realistic. Very few people love doing something for no profit but just for the love of it, its hard to pay bills that way also. Some do a prohect to get something done for themselves and figure others would also want it but cant make it so offer it up figure to break even and make a few more happy people in the process. Then you always have the few that think your doing it to get rich. Profit to me shows that others appreciate what you did by selling it to them, the value of it.
Carry on folks.
Thanks Ian for this FREE site, I really appreciate it.

Just rereading our posts and laughing at how differently some of us do see the world. 

For example your comment that "Very few people love doing something for no profit but just for the love of it, its hard to pay bills that way also."

I may be completely wrong, but my perspective is the opposite, I tend to think most people are here doing things not for profit, and just because they do love it.  I may be 100% wrong, but thats what I believe. 

Same for your comment "Profit to me shows that others appreciate what you did by selling it to them, the value of it."

Again, I guess I see things totally different.  Most of the items I have ever sold were at a loss to me.  Often I buy something, then figure out its not exactly what I wanted and in a box it goes.  Then if later someone else wants it, I end up selling it at a loss.  I figure it was my mistake and I am happy to recoup most of my costs and help someone else out. 

I have also had many people help me out and I'm pretty sure they were not making a profit. 

Either way, I would not see it as a sign of appreciation of an act of help that either I or the other person profited from the sale.  It may be a reality, and I dont begrudge the other guy some profit, but I dont see it in any way a sign of my appreciation or the other persons appreciation that either of us makes a profit. 

A sign of appreciation to me is a genuine Thank You, not money. 

Again, I dont begrudge anyone making a profit and I dont intentionally lose money to be a good guy, I just don't see it in any way that profit = appreciation.

But as we have both said, its interesting to see how differently people see the world and what their values look like.  Money has never been a good motivator for me, and thats probably why I am still a working man.  I'm a Tee-shirt and jeans and hamburger guy and the finer things in life are actually wasted on me.  The best dress shirt and suit are torture for to me to wear, same with dinner at a fancy restaurant, I am just completely out of my element.  So it probably makes sense that I dont worry about making a buck off my hobbies, thats not what brings me joy.  I'm happiest when I'm floating in a tube on the lake or in a pool and waiting for my next chili dog  ;-)

The world is a strange and interesting place, and if little green men come down from outer space and ask me to take them to the perfect human, I would have to claim ignorance as I wouldn't know who that would be.

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 6:38pm
Actually I'm always surprised at the extreme spectrum of folks on this site and why they are here.

For me Auto Mags are externally beautiful guns that still look futuristic but not goofy futuristic, more like timeless futuristic.  Then I am fascinated by their mechanical complexity and the work that goes into each one to just product the product.  And finally there is the performance aspect, both the 44 AMP and 357 AMP and impressive rounds but very manageable in the Auto Mag.

I'm NOT a collector, and have been very clear over the years that I have no interest in being a collector, so I dont usually worry about documentation, history of any gun, serial numbers, original packaging and accessories, etc.  No knock to actual collectors or anyone who does take the time to preserve such history.  Just the opposite, I dont have the patience for such detail, but I can appreciate others who do, its just not me. 

I'm also not interested in investing or making a few bucks here or there from Auto Mags or related items.  I have a job, it pays ok, and I have never found it to be a good return on investment to trade my very limited personal time to try to make a few side dollars.  I just work way too much and have almost no time for family, home responsibilities, and hobbies, so I would rather spend any "extra" time on anything other then more work.  But then I work so much that I take vacations like every 7 or 8 years, so I recognize others may have a lot more time for such activities.

The ones who I find most interesting are the folks who are just here on a whim, they are not collectors, not engineers or machinists or anyone from the firearms industry, nor have they followed Auto Mags for decades and just always wanted one.  The folks who see one, seem to be very interested, buy one (or many), become armchair Auto Mag experts, finally shoot them a whole 1/2 dozen times, then disappear.  Its seems like a lot of work to get wrapped all the way into the Auto Mag world then just say ok, I bought a few shot some, and now I'm all done.  But to each his own.

Its been interesting to see who has been around the Auto Mag community for decades and who has swooped in and come and gone in short periods of time. 

And thats by no means the whole spectrum, just some observations from someone who has been an Auto Mag fan since the G & A cover picture in the early 1970's

ATB

GH
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 5:27pm
No offense to anybody on the personal level here but sometimes you guys crack me up and are great entertainment! For free also!! It does open ones eye to many ways of thinking and allow a lot of other points of view that I would even dream of. Since buying and selling things in this hobby I have learn and seen many comments that amaze me. I can understand most but not justify every one of them to being realistic. Very few people love doing something for no profit but just for the love of it, its hard to pay bills that way also. Some do a prohect to get something done for themselves and figure others would also want it but cant make it so offer it up figure to break even and make a few more happy people in the process. Then you always have the few that think your doing it to get rich. Profit to me shows that others appreciate what you did by selling it to them, the value of it.
Carry on folks.
Thanks Ian for this FREE site, I really appreciate it.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 3:07pm
Personally I wouldn't spend 2 bucks for a factory case, it was not a quality item and I never cared if any Auto Mag I bought had its original case. 

Someone once told me that the number 1 reason someone needed a replacement rear site for their Auto Mag was that the owner had attempted to carry the gun in the factory case and the handle broke and when the case fell it popped open and the gun hit the ground breaking the rear site.

But for those who do like these cases and who want the whole original package, well you are going to have to pay a premium for these items, and you better get them when you can as all these items are getting more and more difficult to come by with every passing year. 

If you value the original case and need a handle, pay the price and be happy you found one, and if your like me, dont worry about getting an original case and if you do get one stuff it in a tote bucket, hide it in the basement and NEVER look at it again, but NEVER EVER carry your Auto Mag in an original case. 

;-) 

GH

dbailey View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 1:48pm
I can’t believe that some people will pay 3000 for a gun, another 200 on a case with a broken handle and then gripe about a 30 handle to make their case right. 
Geez.
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:53pm
I bought a couple of yours.  Too nice to put on crappy cases so I still have them in a drawer.

Mrglasgow, looking at the pictures it looks like one of the "arms" has a wobble in it.  Does it, or is that just an optical illusion from angle/lighting?

Thanks. 

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
wbautomag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbautomag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:36pm
Hey guys that's not a bad price 4yrs. ago I was selling them for $25.00 but I was making my out of urethane lot of work for little pay.

Look at message board page 32 auto mag case handles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>