AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blued rear sight?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blued rear sight?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:43am
All,

An interesting detail on the High Standard 44 Auto Mag my friend just bought. The rear sight is blued?

I have never heard of this before. It’s clearly a factory sight. Do you think this was an owner modification, or were some guns sold this way?
omie01 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:02pm
It could be a Maynard rear sight. The rear sight on my .357 AMP was bent and broken by a past owner and I got a replacement from Brian Maynard that was black, and the rear sights on his barrels were black. But the original on my .357 was a black plating of some sort too.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 2:11pm
Interesting! I’m showing my ignorance here again, but I assume it’s not possible to blue stainless steel, so this sight is therefore probably conventional steel, which might posses some strength advantages. 

Right?
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:28pm
Looking through GunBroker, I found this at auction with the blued rear sight also.  Maybe they were offered at one time???

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
KMP View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:58pm
There's enough Carbon Steel in 17-4PH to black oxide, but it is a different process though, when compared to bluing Carbon Steel. 

I seen the blued rear sights before, on production AMs. 

Eric

Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

Interesting! I’m showing my ignorance here again, but I assume it’s not possible to blue stainless steel, so this sight is therefore probably conventional steel, which might posses some strength advantages. 

Right?
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by KMP KMP wrote:

There's enough Carbon Steel in 17-4PH to black oxide, but it is a different process though, when compared to bluing Carbon Steel. 

I seen the blued rear sights before, on production AMs. 

Eric

Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

Right?

I don't want to keep bumping this thread, but if "Brian's Surplus" is correct in his description, this could answer some questions.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:22am
Well, I know Brian is in touch w/ Don Nixon, who knows at least as much as anybody else here. I'd say its accurate.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 2:28am
If you look in Vol 1 No 8 of Lee Jurras's Newsletters you will find an ad in the back from Beal's Bullets to have your sight exchanged for $18.50 in blued with white outline. So some of these may simply be exchanged sights.   

Lee himself advocated this, and there is an article around from some years ago that they went to visit Lee and he removed their rear sight blade and painted it black. I did this on my shooter, and I will say it works pretty well. Nice thing about the spray paint is it dissolves easily and can be returned to original if desired.

So, if you haven't read all of Lee's Newsletters, you should. I downloaded a lot of the articles from Ian's site to my iPhone and saved them in ibooks and when I'm bored somewhere and don't have wifi I look through them. I forget a lot!!!!! is what I find.

Jason
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 4:20am
I just got my guns out of jail
My Pasadena gun is a .44 and has the standard SS rear sight, my El Monte High Standard  gun is a .357 and has the blued rear sight but my spare 10'' TDE .357 barrel has the ss sights ??????? 
Ed
 Post Reply Post Reply