AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automag II...lots of problems.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:26pm
Tony, thanks for the info and pics. I found my III had a slight difference inag Wells between the 9 and the 30 or was it the mags. One had to be convinced to come out, wasn't drop out like the other. Are mags/Wells different then anybody else? May e the side footprints are the same and not the inside Wells or mags.
Confused
Luv, I seen the AM II videos but they didn't use one hand, lol. I might just take it up for the challenge.
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:01am
Lets try and post these....

As we all know, this is what a bent strut looks like. As mentioned, this happens when slide is off, hammer is back, then the trigger is pulled and the hammer slams forward. I was told that you get MAYBE one (1) oops, usually it starts to bend after the 2nd or 3rd time. This strut looks like someone was having a heyday cocking the hammer and pulling the trigger with the slide off.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:17am
Guide rod incorrectly installed.

If installed incorrectly, it will cause issues. I've seen this more times than not, and have "called people" on it.

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:19am
Correctly installed.

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:29am
Here's the firing pin(s).

If anyone knows anybody with an automated lathe (or a manual lathe) and a mill that would be willing to make some for a reasonable price, I would be willing to mail them the beefier one (on the left) to mimic. I would also buy two to replace the "weaker" ones, and probably another one (or two?) as "spares".

That is the little piece that flew off and hit me in the forehead. THANKFULLY it landed on the shooting bench and I was able to find it. I am so glad that I didn't discard it as being "nothing" and swept it into the trash.

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:31am
Here are better/closer picts of the beefier one.

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:38am
Here are some worn and NOS extractors. The 2 on the left are worn. The 1 in the middle is so-so. The 2 on the right are NOS, or were purchased from High Standard before they closed for business.

You can see where they are worn away on one side of the lip. That is the part that hits/rubs on the notch that is cut into the barrel.

When that part hits the barrel, it slightly pushes it away from the rim of the shell. As you can imagine, this can cause it to NOT grab the rim of the shell for extraction/ejection.

Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:46am
Here are different barrels with different "touches" at expanding the notch. They may not look the prettiest but they all work.

The one on the right was my first attempt. The Dremel got away from me and is ugly. But it works.

The one in the middle is a little better, still not "pretty". It works too.

The one on the left is probably the best looking. I still have a few FTE every once in awhile. I think the extractor is still making contact with the barrel when the slide is fully closed, making it NOT work 100% and giving some FTE.

With Tony's findings regarding the different ammo, and Aquilla working the best, I will be searching for some of that and trying it in all the barrels. Hopefully that will help.

XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:05am
WOW, LOVE them pics! Thanks
Now the first set, mine are bent a little but nothing like that one, dang@!Ouch
Did you try that pinch trick I mention? Can't remember if that was this or a different model. Let us know.
The pins look like 2 first version and a later stronger version, am I correct? That left side looks like they figured out only a little mill out was needed to keep the pin hammer head stronger, longer. Sound right?Thumbs Up
I understand the extractor issue as you show them, I'll have to check mine now.Dead
It looks like you have 2 first run style barrels and a later run style barrel, or is it the other way around?
I thought they went to the grind the angle edge of barrel style to avoid that issue. Again, I'll have to look at mine to check this too. One day(I keep saying it) I'm going to take pics and note different version runs just to get smarter on them. Star
Dang, rounds cost so much compared to 22LR stuff, even more than the 9mm stuff!Angry
Thanks for posting this up.Clap

Tony, you do a lot of this stuff, what kind of metal would be used for them pins? do they heat treat them to harden afterwards or does it make to brittle? I love to try a few things for fun and might get there this year.
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:29am
I have a note here, that AR-15 firing pins are made from 8640 steel, "as rolled".

The only firing pins that I have ever had made, were for the Saiga-12 shotgun, and I don't recall the material used, but they were made for us by Kila Hill Manufacturing, in Kila Montana. Kila Hill was the firing pin OEM for Weatherby for several years. I believe we sold about 1,000 of those firing pins and then discontinued them when the Saiga-12 was no longer the cool new toy on the market.

Unfortunately, I don't see making Automag II firing pins to be a lucrative business adventure. Economically, you would need to run at least 500ea, and then sell a few here, and sit on the rest for the next 40 years....kinda like we're doing now with 44 AMP magazine loading tools.

The average Automag II owner, isn't going to be buying spare firing pins until their's actually breaks.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>