AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automag II...lots of problems.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 2:24pm
I don't know.  I've never tried.  I would think it is not much different than taking apart a 1911.

The only "issue" I see might be getting the slide stop lever out.  Usually when you pull the slide back you push the the slide stop lever up to lock it open.  When you do that, the AMT lever has a notch on the inside that "hooks" the frame.  I don't know if the 1911's do this too.  But, you have to pull the slide back so the lever releases and drops (so you can close the slide), but you have to hold the slide in place, and push the lever down VERY slightly into its "resting" place.  Then it releases from the frame and you can push (or pull) the lever out.

I hold the slide open with one hand, and with my other hand I put my finger in the slide, through the ejection port, all the way to the inside part of the lever, and start pushing the lever slightly down and out with my pinky.  Once it starts to move out, I grab the lever and pull it out.  Then the slide can come off.

As I mentioned, with one hand it would be very difficult for me, the way I do it.
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 6:02pm
We all know AMT had QC issues so maybe you guys got Monday or Friday guns or are getting abused ones from others that also shot the snot out of them. I never had these problems yet, maybe I'm shooting Weds guns or not shooting them enough, lol. It tough on the budget, cost the same as or more than CF stuff in my area.
You guys are talking about all these parts and iasues but I don't see any pics about them parts here, what gives?
USA, I think any firearm can be taken apart or put together with one capable hand, you just may have to get a "second hand/vice" in some cases just to ease the process. I broke down and reassembled the Automag III with my left hand only( I'm right handed).

Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:37pm
I hear ya, XP.  I'm thinking the same thing too.  As soon as I can get some pics taken, and edited to fit on the site, I will be posting some.

I don't know about the Friday or Monday builds (too funny, I know what you mean though), but the ones I've run across have not been "treated" very well.

Lots of gunk to clean out of them.  I assume previous people couldn't/wouldn't strip them down to clean them after a few hundred rounds through them

The others, I am guessing once the slide was off they thought it was fun to cock the hammer then pull the trigger to watch the hammer.  The last one I worked on, the hammer strut seemed to be bent at about a 45° angle.  I'll have to find the picts of that one.

Worn extractors, and looking into why they were worn where they were.  Then looking at how everything matched up is how I came to my conclusion(s).

Guide rod installation is another one I just happen to notice.  I even called out a couple people because of the way it was installed.  I was right each time.
Beer
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:14pm
The recoil guide rod thing I noticed was after it was put together that if it wasn't in it's spot when you locked open the slide you could see the rod angle downward. I found out you could "pinch" the rod and barrel together between your fingers and the rod would "pop" into it's place. Never did look/remember what it hung up on but it wasn't much to hold it there.
I keep saying one day I'll go through all my AMT stuff and write up things I found but never get time yet. Go figure.
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 11:59pm
XP001, What kind of pics do you want?

XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 1:52am
Any pics about AMT or other odd stuff, love to drool. I was wanting to see before/After pics of these problems. You know, stuff to look for and understand better. I do like what you posted here also, very nice looking. The Automag III and IV you show have wood grips, are they interchangeable with each other? Nice set.
Thx for showing them.
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 2:32am
Rumore, I can appreciate your position on working on my gun, but had to ask. If you do make some stronger parts, any chance you can do more than one? Sounds like you could sell a few here.    

XP, LUVZ, thanks for your thoughts. In the end, won't know 'til I try. -"no negative waves, man!" (Oddball from Kelley's Heros")-
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:02am
I guess I can do a video if there is interest in it. I'm always willing to give a helping HAND when ask. Maybe Ian can make a video section for dis-assembly/assembly and everyones favorite actually shooting of them. So speak up if you want something, somebody will help I'm sure. I can't believe there isn't a firing pin out there that couldn't be made to work in them. I just don't have enough things in pieces here to compare it too. Maybe I'll get around to ripping one down to parts and measure, photo each part and make a spec list of each part, hmmm.
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:42am
The Automag III, IV, and I believe the V, all use the same grip frame and grips. The Automag II grips are different. I don't believe anyone makes any replacement grips for the Compact Automag II. All of those grips came from www.Grips4U.com

I'll get pics on the next one I repair. I was able to get the trigger pull down to 3 pounds on the 6" Automag II and 4 pounds on the 3.5" Automag II. There's really not much too it....AMT simply installed way over-power springs for the trigger return and sear. I simply made new ones from AR-15 dust cover springs in order to cut the pull weight. I actually got the trigger pull down to 2 pounds on the 6" gun, with the trigger return spring completely eliminated, but the trigger would occasionally fail to reset, so I had to go back and put a trigger return spring back in the gun. I also made a new hammer strut from a piece of drill rod pressed into a piece of 303 Stainless. It's much more robust than the POS stamped OEM part.

On the Automag III 9mm WinMag, the recoil spring seemed awfully light. I found that a spring from a Tanfoglio Witness was an exact match. I installed a 22 pound Wolff/Tanfoglio spring and it felt quite a bit more suitable for the caliber. Test fired fine.

Tony

Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:35pm
Well, I took picts last night and worked on cropping and editing them so I could post them here.  Needless to say, I forgot to backup what I did and cannot post them from this computer.
Tonight I will post:
1. Guide rod position and what it looks like correct/incorrect. 
2. The slide stop lever.  (I passed along INCORRECT info above.  The lever rests in a locked position on the frame in the DOWN position.  I reach in with my pinky and push it UP ever so slightly, they push it out of the frame.
3. I have picts of 3 of my firing pins.  2 that are manufactured the same - in which 1 of them is the one that broke and the piece hit me in the forehead.  The other one looks like it is made MUCH better and I don't see it breaking anytime soon.

I agree, XP.  I can't see it taking too much to turn one out on an automated lathe.  Then to a mill and notch accordingly.  I'd buy a few if they were reasonably priced.  2 to replace the "poor designed" ones, and 1 to have "just in case".

As for assembly and disassembly, there are some on YouTube that I have followed.  They do a good job explaining and showing.  If I remember correctly, the only thing it didn't show was the removal and install of the safety lever detent ball and spring.  Let me tell you, IT IS A PAIN !!!  If you take it down that far (which I can't see it being "needed") make sure you have a spare bearing (or 3!) before attempting to reinstall it.  I came up with a method and can post if anyone is interested.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>