AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Rig +P stainless steel grease being discontinued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rig +P stainless steel grease being discontinued

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rig +P stainless steel grease being discontinued
    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 1:43am
All,

I was taught that while Firepower FP-10 is the oil of choice for the Auto Mag, the violence of the reciprocating action means that some areas benefit more from having grease instead of oil.

Specifically, the rear of the bolt/inside of the cocking piece should be thoroughly filled with grease, and the accelerator area should be packed with grease as well.

I did some research and found that Rig +P grease is specifically formulated to prevent galling on stainless steel, and thus is perfect for our application:

Unfortunately, I learned from the company last week that they are discontinuing the entire Rig line of lubricants and preservatives later this year. Hearing this, I naturally panicked and responded by buying three lifetime’s worth of the stuff. I stupidly shopped on EBay, Amazon and elsewhere, paying upwards of $8 per tube, before I realized that the manufacturer is still making it and selling direct to the customer for only $4.99 each at the link above.

If you don’t already have a lifetime supply of this stuff I would urge you to buy some now.  
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:05am
Just one remark about the above post,
The most often mistake when using grease is that people think you need to use as much as you can. All you need is just a thin layer (film) of grease to make it work well. All the excess grease will just atract dirt and that's not what you want. You just need the parts to slide well and easy agianst each other.
So, just whipe a thin layer on the parts and put them back in the weapon.
It's true, a little goes a long way...

I use the shooters choise (https://shooters-choice.com/synthetic-all-weather-high-tech-grease/) on all guns (machineguns) and never had problems this way.
They even clean easy after the shooting, just wipe off the parts is mostly all it takes.

AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 1:50pm
I use WeaponShield (grease and oil) which is the improved FP10 anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply