AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt hold-open doesn’t work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:43am
ok, after reading your first post over I think I understand it now.

" I have access from the outside, and it seems as though if I squeezed it carefully and bent it downwards somewhat, it would lower the contact point and enable the magazine pin to have fuller engagement, but I am reluctant to start mangling things."

So it looks worn in upward arch on the bottom side of the tab. So weld a new metal bottom tab and it's done. Moving the mag pin out more won't fix it as it is not going passed the tab, it just won't hit the tab because the tab underside metal is worn upward. Can't believe that little amount would stop it from working but it's an Auto Mag so anything is possible! I won't recommend smashing up the pin heads to make them bigger to work but.........    lol   just joking, DO NOT DO THAT!
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 12:58am
Actually, I have a mag that had that exact procedure done! The head of the pin is mushroomed...very nicely, too, as if by gunsmith. AND its on an International!

Was also thinking a dab of JBweld either on the pin or the damaged piece. On the piece it could be filed after hardening. No idea how long it would hold up, of course, but might be cheap temporary fix?
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 2:35am
One of my mags (the only one that works) has the pin mushroomed exactly as the one in the photo above. It looks quite deliberate. 

I tried calling New Automag to order the parts needed to fix this thing, but there was no answer and they haven’t called back yet. I will try again Monday.  Failing that, I will turn to Brian on GunBroker.

Stay tuned.....
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:17am
Mike, have you bought from Bryan before? If not, and if you decide to buy from him, let me try to get it cheaper. I bought a BUNCH from him a few years ago and he MIGHT give me a break if I ask.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 7:46am
Thanks, but I have no objection to paying a fair price to the people who dedicate themselves to supporting us. I believe in Patrick and what he is trying to achieve, so if I can put a few bucks back into that enterprise, I will go there first. But if that fails I will email Brian with my shopping list and see what he will do for me. 

I must say, I have received advice and offers of help from numerous people here (often via instant message) and I am most appreciative!
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:27am
I'm glad to hear that you were offered so much help. While that seems to be the norm now, I've been told back in the day it wasn't so.
I also checked my parts to confirm I didn't have what you need. If I did, it would be much cheaper than Bryan's!
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 1:13am
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:38am
Well the damnest thing just happened. I took it out and fired it for the first time and put 50 rounds through it, using partially filled magazines. The holdopen worked perfectly EVERY time. 

It still doesn’t work when manually cycling the action, but under the violence of recoil it worked just fine, at least with the one magazine that came with it. 

Hmmm.....when is a problem not really a problem?
Gunfixr View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunfixr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 4:20am
The two magazines that came with my pistol had the tapered head like in the pics. It's not really mushroomed, it's cut with a taper, kind of like a cone.
When I made the pins for the three mags I put together, I cut them the same.
All of them work fine.
The taper is probably so that only the outer edge of the pin contacts the bolt hold open. Because of how little it protrudes from the magazine body, and therefore, how little area on the hold open it has to engage, this would prevent it from camming the hold open out of the way, preventing it from engaging, and getting it wedged next to the magazine, which would make it difficult to remove.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123