AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AM imported back into the US.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AM imported back into the US.
    Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
Here's something you don't see to often, a North Hollywood imported into the US. Simpson's is known for importing weapons in from Sweden and Switzerland. I bet this one came from Switzerland. Very nice condition, other than the rust speckles. http://www.simpsonltd.com/products/z40183

Eric

BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 7:27pm

I live about an hour away from Simpson's.  About 15 or 20 years ago they imported a large AMP collection from Switzerland.  By the time I got interested they had been picked over alot and what was left was over priced.

I bought this one from them about 4 years ago and it was the last one.  In those days they just put their import mark in with a electric engraver.  The BATF has since changed the rules.

Eric, you know a lot about Bren Tens, do you know the story on the last guns that got exported to Australia?  I have a consecutive pair of standard models with Simpson import marks in the mag well from when they brought some back to the states to sell.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 7:29pm
More pics

Notice it is marked 41 AMP instead of 41 JMP.  I asked Jurras about it and he said they were mismarked.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 7:31pm
One more
KMP View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:14pm
Beemer:

I seen markings like that over the years and even while visiting the AMT factory. They (the factory) were notorious for chopping up electro etch stencils, taping them back together to get what they want them to say. During one of my visits, I got to look through the box of misc stencils, I was surprised to see many taped together. By looking at yours, the "41" looks like a different font and/or thickness of lettering, when compared to "AMP".

In regards to the Bren Tens, I know nothing about any Bren exported to Australia, nor any other country. I wish someone held onto the original D&D transfer books. Maybe someday they'll surface. 

Eric 
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 11:17pm
When I bought the 41 AMP it had a cobled up scope mount on it and the rear sight base.  I assume it was a 10 1/2" barrel with the front sight cut off.  It measures 9 1/4" now.  I had Max Gera machine of the sight base and add his mount to it.  Being messed with two times the stencil is very faint.  The frame is ser number A057XX with a solid bolt.

The story I got on the Australian Bren Tens is there was an Australian gun dealer talking with D&D at the time they were just about to go under and he made a cash offer on the final batch of 75 or so Brens.  D&D took the money even though many of the guns were sold to other buyers already.  The buyer got the guns out of the country and to Australia.

The Austalian was unable to sell all of the down under and tried bringing them back to the US.  Simpson's imported the and the Austalian got into some kind of trouble I have been told and the Bren's were confiscated and sold.

A few years ago there was a Viced Bren on GunBroker that was just a few numbers away from my pair and I emailed him and asked him to look for the Simpson mark in the mag well and sure enough it was one the imports.  He had never noticed the marking,
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 11:27pm
Can I assume the markings are at bottom of magwell, inside, and can be easily seen if you drop the mag?
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 12:19am
Yes,if you look at the top picture, that is how Simpson marked them on both the Auto Mag and the Brens.

They were hand done and pretty sloppy.  You practically need to know what it says to read them.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 12:21pm

Here is a link to a sig that has Simpson's current import mark.

See picture 16.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/790263423
KMP View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:28pm
Beemer,

Thanks for sharing that story. I'd like to learn more about the Bren exports. Someday I hope to learn more about that. maybe the facts will surface someday.

Eric

Originally posted by BEEMER1 BEEMER1 wrote:

When I bought the 41 AMP it had a cobled up scope mount on it and the rear sight base.  I assume it was a 10 1/2" barrel with the front sight cut off.  It measures 9 1/4" now.  I had Max Gera machine of the sight base and add his mount to it.  Being messed with two times the stencil is very faint.  The frame is ser number A057XX with a solid bolt.

The story I got on the Australian Bren Tens is there was an Australian gun dealer talking with D&D at the time they were just about to go under and he made a cash offer on the final batch of 75 or so Brens.  D&D took the money even though many of the guns were sold to other buyers already.  The buyer got the guns out of the country and to Australia.

The Austalian was unable to sell all of the down under and tried bringing them back to the US.  Simpson's imported the and the Austalian got into some kind of trouble I have been told and the Bren's were confiscated and sold.

A few years ago there was a Viced Bren on GunBroker that was just a few numbers away from my pair and I emailed him and asked him to look for the Simpson mark in the mag well and sure enough it was one the imports.  He had never noticed the marking,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>