AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of grips are these?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:28pm
Your post confuses me.

Are you saying that the new grips are thinner or thicker?

And in either case why does that feel better to you?

Fit of the grips on the gun is one matter, and how they fit in your hand it totally another.

I personally consider the 44 AMP to be a modest recoil gun maybe on par with a 10mm 1911, but not as bad a Smith 29, and no where near as harsh as many of the newer high powered pistols. And for me the 357 AMP is a pussy cat.

Regarding the impact of the grips on the Auto Mag, I totally agree that a change in grips makes the gun feel like a different gun. 

In my case, I find that as the grips become thicker, the gun takes on a hand filling feel.  When holding the gun (NOT shooting it) I find I like both the thinnest and thickest grips, the extremes just seem to work for me and the middle ground is just ok.  But shooting is a totally different story.  I find that the thicker grips make me feel like I have less control, I prefer to use a very thin set of custom Micarta grip I have had for many years OR,,, my strongest preference is the original Pasadena Grips!

I feel like everything the Lovendale/Barbasiewicz's teams did to produce the original Auto Mag was near spot on and the thickness and fit of the grips is perfect for me.  The checkering is a bit sharp on new original Pasadena grips but becomes a welcomed friend when the edge comes off the tops and you are shooting a lot of hot loads and if your hands sweat, where as the smooth grips such as my gloss finished Micarta grips get a but slippery if your hands sweat at all.  And while I never use shooting gloves, I can only imagine that the Pasadena grips would be ideal with any form of glove as the checkering would help you to have a very solid hold on the gun.

This one of those situations where it is totally subjective to the shooters preferences.  Pretty much like what boots are most comfortable. 

Everyone should try more than one pair of grips of different thickness on their Auto Mag, it really makes a difference in how the gun feels to you.

GH

Who was that masked man,,,
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Auto Mag Auto Mag wrote:

Your post confuses me.

Are you saying that the new grips are thinner or thicker?

And in either case why does that feel better to you?

Fit of the grips on the gun is one matter, and how they fit in your hand it totally another.

I personally consider the 44 AMP to be a modest recoil gun maybe on par with a 10mm 1911, but not as bad a Smith 29, and no where near as harsh as many of the newer high powered pistols. And for me the 357 AMP is a pussy cat.

Regarding the impact of the grips on the Auto Mag, I totally agree that a change in grips makes the gun feel like a different gun. 

In my case, I find that as the grips become thicker, the gun takes on a hand filling feel.  When holding the gun (NOT shooting it) I find I like both the thinnest and thickest grips, the extremes just seem to work for me and the middle ground is just ok.  But shooting is a totally different story.  I find that the thicker grips make me feel like I have less control, I prefer to use a very thin set of custom Micarta grip I have had for many years OR,,, my strongest preference is the original Pasadena Grips!

I feel like everything the Lovendale/Barbasiewicz's teams did to produce the original Auto Mag was near spot on and the thickness and fit of the grips is perfect for me.  The checkering is a bit sharp on new original Pasadena grips but becomes a welcomed friend when the edge comes off the tops and you are shooting a lot of hot loads and if your hands sweat, where as the smooth grips such as my gloss finished Micarta grips get a but slippery if your hands sweat at all.  And while I never use shooting gloves, I can only imagine that the Pasadena grips would be ideal with any form of glove as the checkering would help you to have a very solid hold on the gun.

This one of those situations where it is totally subjective to the shooters preferences.  Pretty much like what boots are most comfortable. 

Everyone should try more than one pair of grips of different thickness on their Auto Mag, it really makes a difference in how the gun feels to you.

GH

The new grips are neither thinner nor thicker. Instead, they are shaped differently. The standard grips give the gun a very blocky, rectangular feel, almost like gripping a 2x4. The new ones have a decidedly more oval contour, which is especially visible from below. They are much thinner at the front and rear, and about the same in the center. The difference it makes is remarkable. It feels like a slightly larger 1911 now, which is about as comfortable as can be. I have comparatively small hands, and so I really see a tremendous benefit from the change. Essentially knocking the four corners off the grips has the effect of shrinking the ‘waistline’ and reducing the overall size. 

Some have expressed doubts as to their longevity. I haven’t fired them with the 44 yet, but my 357 shows no signs of anything resembling fatigue or trauma. I make the grip screws just snug, not overly tight, and sometimes have to tighten them slightly.

I agree that grips are a highly subjective thing. If you like but don’t love shooting your Auto Mag, give these a try.  The results might surprise you.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:04am
Makes me wonder of your "original" were in fact original.

The repo grips are often thicker than original Auto Mag grips.  Do you have more than one set of original grips to compare?

Either way, I agree that until you try different grips, you wont know what you are missing.

My best looking grips are an extra thick set of Jurras exotic laminated grips that look stunning and when they are on the gun its like holding a pipe!  Probably great for some lumber jack sized hands, but way too much for me, but I can't seem to part with them as they are so good looking on the gun.

Guess thats why I have so many sets of grips, I love to look of a lot of them, but hate how most of them feel on the gun.

GH

Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

The new grips are neither thinner nor thicker. Instead, they are shaped differently. The standard grips give the gun a very blocky, rectangular feel, almost like gripping a 2x4. The new ones have a decidedly more oval contour, which is especially visible from below. They are much thinner at the front and rear, and about the same in the center. The difference it makes is remarkable. It feels like a slightly larger 1911 now, which is about as comfortable as can be. I have comparatively small hands, and so I really see a tremendous benefit from the change. Essentially knocking the four corners off the grips has the effect of shrinking the ‘waistline’ and reducing the overall size. 

Some have expressed doubts as to their longevity. I haven’t fired them with the 44 yet, but my 357 shows no signs of anything resembling fatigue or trauma. I make the grip screws just snug, not overly tight, and sometimes have to tighten them slightly.

I agree that grips are a highly subjective thing. If you like but don’t love shooting your Auto Mag, give these a try.  The results might surprise you.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Auto Mag Auto Mag wrote:

Makes me wonder of your "original" were in fact original.

The repo grips are often thicker than original Auto Mag grips.  Do you have more than one set of original grips to compare?

Yes, Bruce Stark confirmed that my originals are the good flavor of El Monte/High Standard (the non-explosive kind).
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 4:37am
Explosive grips, well that a new one.  Sounds like something out of a tongue-in-cheek movie, like Matt Helm or something.  Thought I had heard every crazy Auto Mag rumor. Guess not,,,

Can you post pictures of the front and back and bottom edges of your original grips that would illustrate the thickness of your grips?

Based on your description something does not sound right.  I have countless sets of El Monte grips and the same set of wood grips you posted and I would not describe the wood grips as having a better contour.  They are a pretty faithful copy of the original El Monte grips profile.  What they are not is a copy of the cheap knock-off aftermarket El Monte grips. Those grips are much more blocky and uncomfortable. Much like your 2 x 4 description.

Its not an important point, if you are happy with how they feel, thats all that counts for you. 

I would just be concerned that anyone else would rush out and buy those grips and expect them to feel significantly different that most original El Monte grips.  When I compare the FA wood grips to my El Monte grips, they are so close I needed a set of calipers to find the difference.

Have you ever tried a set of Pasadena grips?  They are much thinner than standard Auto Mag grips and feel very different.  Maybe too thin for some shooters. Pretty much the opposed end of the spectrum from the extra thick Jurras exotic wood grips that are like holding a pipe ;-)

GH
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 4:59am
Now let me think, where did I put those grips,,,

Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 2:55pm
Mike, we looked at a pair of grips on a North Hollywood gun that you didn't buy.  I have not seen your grips.  I have never said "good flavor, El Monte/High Standard or non-explosive" about a pair of grips.
All the best......Bruce Stark 
 [/QUOTE]
Yes, Bruce Stark confirmed that my originals are the good flavor of El Monte/High Standard (the non-explosive kind).
[/QUOTE]
An armed society is a polite society.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Dances with AutoMags Dances with AutoMags wrote:

Mike, we looked at a pair of grips on a North Hollywood gun that you didn't buy.  I have not seen your grips.  I have never said "good flavor, El Monte/High Standard or non-explosive" about a pair of grips.
All the best......Bruce Stark 

[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Sorry Bruce, maybe I misunderstood. 

I’m talking about the El Monte I later bought.  You dismantled and inspected it and I would swear that is what you told me?
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 1:36am
You have to admit, given all the crazy things that are Auto Mag, explosive grip sounds like a good story in the history of the gun. 

Like maybe somehow gunpowder got mixed into the grip material when it was confused with plastic powder.

Or maybe in a new age version of the Wild Wild West, Jim West has and Auto Mag and the grips double as plastic explosives for when he is in a tough spot.

So many possibilities,,,

In the end what matters is owners simply need to know a change of grips can be a transformative modification for an Auto Mag, truly changing the way the gun feels in your hand.  Thats pretty impressive.

GH
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 4:49am
Reminded me of the day I blew up 2 different grips on 2 different guns. Was firing handloaded 38 super"major" rounds in an STI race gun. Turns out a few rounds were too fat and the gun fired out of battery...blew the mag out the bottom and cracked both grips. Naturally I thought it could never happen again, so went and got a Colt 1911 in that cal.-and blew it up! Bought a go/nogo gauge and pulled 11 more rounds that were too big!
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>