AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automag III 30 Carbine: Malfunction: Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 5:27am
How did you like these pics/instructions? Reading is a little dry but it worked for me at this time. 

Credit to Larry Grossman and all the others that worked on these designs, they worked so hard to keep it so simple and easy I'm sure. I was surprised how simple and easy these are, maybe a part or 2 you have to work to get in place but it really is a simple puzzle, at least to me. Think about this, I broke down almost the complete Automag III with one screwdriver(for grips screws) and a simple punch, to make it really easy I also used a needle nose pliers, but that was it! You might need a smaller punch for the rear sight and an hex wrench for the trigger/disconnector bar screw. Not too bad I think.

I stated a few years back that I wanted to break them all down and mic every part and doc everything but I had an opps and it set me back some years. Feeling better now this year so I'm trying to get on track with a few things and this is one of them. Maybe most guns are simple and need few tools to break down but I thought it would be harder, maybe I'm just getting smarter? or just not afraid of them anymore. I do have a video camera already just would need to get a nice set up to do it, it really wasn't all that bad, I just made a lot of steps to make sure what I thought was common sense was written in because not everybody has the same common sense as me, people see things different. I wanted to try to "stupid" proof my instructions.

Anyways, first step done, I purchased a micrometer today. I have a few things in mind to do now that my warm weather fun stuff is done for the year. Maybe a CD is in the furture, but more like a "flash drive" as they last longer, are smaller and hold more.
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 12:44am
I think what you've done so far is very informative. Just not sure how to save it from here. You said we could pm you for a copy, so think I'll do that.

I don't see the need to take any gun apart this much except for repair. A sonic cleaner cleans all the nooks and crannies just fine. Also, I'm stuck doing the work one-handed, so it would be helpful to watch hand movement and see hoe I need to adapt to do the same work. I can strip a 1911 no problem, but never seen these guns being torn down. Reading it is great, but watching would be very useful as well.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 1:29pm
+1 for what you’ve provided!  To be honest I wish I had the confidence to tear it all down.  Even with a Youtube hi def video I often need to rewind a portion several times to “get it”.  It is so rewarding though when I’m able to.  Thus far the hammer, hammer strut and firing pin are the only parts that I’m focusing on to resolve the malfunctions. Getting them out and back in is my goal unless of course they all check out fine.  If they are all in good condition I may need to take XP up on his generous options.  On another note: does anyone happen to know how the chamber compares with the M1 30 Carbine?  I’m working on a reloading project using the Speer 110 gr HO Varmit bullet.
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:50pm
I'll say this, a video will be done just won't say when it will be available. Have a few things to get done before this can be done. 

I'm not a reloader but want  to understand what you asking about with the chamber. I would think since both shoot the same caliber the chambers must be within specs of a general accepted standard. If there was a big difference, wouldn't we have some issues using the normal rifle ammo  in it? What did I miss?
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:26pm
The Speer Hollow Point billets have chambered fine in the AM III but a few did not go into battery in the M1. Since I trim all my brass 1.281-1.283 I’m assuming the shape of this bullet is a factor.  Or possibly their QC is off on some bullets. However possibly the chamber is more forgiving in the AM III.
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 2:00am
I read some previous comments about rifle vs pistol primers causing grief. I want to believe that the designer/makers of a pistol intended to fire basically rifle ammo knew they had to have a firing pin strike with sufficient power to ignite all comers...

Jerry
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 3:29am
I be willing to bet that bullet is your issue on that reload as there isn't much ogive for feeding it easily. How is your feed ramp on the M1? Been awhile since I looked in mine I forgot how they ramped it. It is a issue with semi's but funny how your AMIII feeds better than the M1. Just the feed angles and ramps, I bet if you decided to make that your standard bullet you could "fix" the M1 to take it, but is it worth the work?
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 4:47am
My M1 carbine was my first gun, which I bought in high school. I’ve been reloading the Speer 110 grain hollow point for 35 years and have never had a problem. They feed and shoot just fine. 

At least in mine they do.....
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 5:12am
Good to hear Mike.  Possibly shortening the OAL and the powder may work.  What is the OAL of your recipe?
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 6:27am
I’m not very creative. I just followed the Speer #9 manual and used the middle load of 14.0 grains of WW296, and seated the bullet so the cannelure on the bullet lined up with the case mouth.  I just measured for the first time ever, and it works out to 1.571”-1.572”. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>