AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automag III 30 Carbine: Malfunction: Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:34pm
Pantera Mike: thanks.  I called RCBS.  They say the issue has to do with how far I have their seating die seated.  Not sure I understood, as I was helping someone when they called.  She said when I feel the resistance to stop and raise the die 1 full turn.  I don’t recall feeling much resistance though.  
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 1:46pm
Pantera Mike: I re-read your reply.  I believe RCBS was discussing the cannelure in relation to seating. Note: Speer’s OAL is 1.635. I called them in hopes of getting a shorter OAL with less than 14.9 gr (max).  Looks like your 14.0 gr charge & shorter OAL  1.571-1.572 is the ticket!
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2018 at 10:17pm
Malfunction update: Special thanks to XP who, I believe, diagnosed the issue.  He suggested it was the safety involving the firing pin.  My pin was hanging up on a slight lip inside the safety.  My smith removed it and polished the large base on the pin.  Back to the range to test but on the 3rd round no primer strike.  We continued firing but in between shots we looked at the safety.  With each failure the safety was slipping downward ever so slightly.  We moved back to his bench and found a shiny spot inside the frame where the safety rubbed the slide.  This caused the safety detent to slip.  Possibly my detent spring was weak.  My smith found a Beretta spring that was the right diameter but 1-2 coils too long  (for the detent to slip in)  but definitely several coils longer than mine. He sanded off 1-2 coils and then it fit and felt secure.  Back out to the range and she ate my loads, Fiocchi and PPU 110 FMJ.  About 30 rounds!  I want to put another 30-50 down the pipe as a final confirmation.  Thanks again for everyone’s input.  We never took the hammer out to check for burrs or the hammer strut.
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2018 at 4:29pm
Clap
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 5:35pm
Pantera Mike: PM sent.
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 5:02pm
For those interested in loading the Speer 110 HP bullet as Pantera Mike has I’m posting these photos.  Note: I do not know what length Pantera Mike trims his cases. My cases below are trimmed to 1.282:

COAL above is 1.660

COAL 1.651 to the top of the cannelure

COAL 1.572

Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
hmm. My Speer bullets (dating from the late 1980s) have both a cannelure and crimping groove as can be seen here:

I seat the bullets to the crimping groove. Your bullets seem to be lacking this groove?
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:25pm
Interesting.  I believe you are correct.  I’ll look at them when I get back home.
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 12:18am
You are correct.  Speer must have changed the bullet!
kwesi View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2018 at 2:58am

Intermittent light primer strikes continue with factory and my loads.  Safety certainly did not seem to move.  Guess I’ll look at the hammer strut next.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678