Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Automag Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:21pm
I have to agree that the 9+ inch barrel just looks a little "odd".  The 8.5" looks just right to me.  The 6.5" is nice too.

Bob, did you have those cases custom made, or did they come with the pistols?

I should not assume that you didn't make them yourself...... sorry.  Did you make them? 
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by BEEMER1 BEEMER1 wrote:

They all look good to me.  Here is a Brian Maynard 44 VR.  I like it a lot

Dont get me wrong, if I win any of them in a raffle, I wont say no.  But if its a matter of me deciding which gun to spend my money on, and the price is the same for any 2 guns, I just dont care for the look of the new barrel enough buy it over an original. 

If it were less expensive, or clearly offered some functional advantage that could be an influence, but so far I dont even know all that has been improved on these guns and they have not released the test report. And clearly they are not inexpensive, so for the moment my $4000 is staying in my pocket and would probably be spent on an original Pasadena first, or something else.  For those of you who can afford an extra $4000 gun and are willing to be our test pilots, I look forward to hearing about your experiences and hope you all are 110% happy with your new guns. I'm not in the market for any S & W guns and probably never will be, but I can be happy for any of you who buys one and is satisfied with your purchase.  So I hope to hear your guys are shooting your new toys and grinning when doing so.

ATB

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:35pm
I own more Auto Mags than most and quite a few high end ones.

In my opinion the Founder's Editions that were just delivered to me are by far the nicest AMP's for the money that I own.

Just my opinion, you are welcome to your own.  You probably should handle one in person before you pass judgement.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:42pm

Here is my favorite.  An 8 1/2" 357 VR by TDE.  I like the long slender profile and the tall rib.

I think I would rate this as my #2 choice just slightly after the Brian Maynard barrel in your previous post.  I slightly prefer the wider openings in Brians barrel.  But they are very close for me.  After that I prefer the PERFECT look of the original Pasadena 6 1/2" VR gun, it is THE iconic image. 

Well thats my top 3. 

If you what to round out "my" top 5, then #4 would be the Jurras International, with the collapsible stock and Lomont scope mount, and #5 would be the original Auto Mag 45ACP HARDBALLER.

Honorable mention would be the BackPacker ;-)

GH
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 4:51pm

I own more Auto Mags than most and quite a few high end ones.

In my opinion the Founder's Editions that were just delivered to me are by far the nicest AMP's for the money that I own.

Just my opinion, you are welcome to your own.  You probably should handle one in person before you pass judgement.

Given the current prices of some of the original custom Auto Mags, I'm sure the new guns are a super good bargain.

But in truth we all have different preference and desires, and these dont rank on my list.

If I can only have one Auto Mag, it will always be an original Pasadena, even over the Dirty Harry Gun!

So for me personally the new guns may have a place in my safe, but because I must make very difficult choices over where to spend my money, they will still come well after several other guns I dont yet have, nothing will change that after 45 years of following the AM. I simply have other guns ahead of the new AM's on my list.

If I hit the lottery, then I will just buy everything I want!  I should be so lucky ;-) 
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:26pm
George has got me interested in these barrel profiles so these were handy and I thought we could critique these.

The one on the right is an 8 1/2" VR Kent Lomont TDE Custom in 357 AMP.

The one on the left is an 8 1/2" VR Brian Maynard Custom 357 AMP.

I like them both very much.

BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:31pm

Here are two very unique pieces.

The one on the right is an 8 1/2" VR Larry Grossman Custom in 45 Win Mag.  Larry made it by cutting down a 10 1/2" plain barrel and adding a rib.

The one on the left is a 6 1/2" VR Kent Lomont TDE Custom in 357 AMP.  The barrel profile is the same as the 44 AMP's.  It is the only one I have ever seen.  George should like it.   Wink

Both are cool pistols.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 9:57pm

Here are two very unique pieces.

The one on the right is an 8 1/2" VR Larry Grossman Custom in 45 Win Mag.  Larry made it by cutting down a 10 1/2" plain barrel and adding a rib.

The one on the left is a 6 1/2" VR Kent Lomont TDE Custom in 357 AMP.  The barrel profile is the same as the 44 AMP's.  It is the only one I have ever seen.  George should like it.   Wink

Both are cool pistols.

Both look good to me!  Though I still think I like the look of the BM 8 1/2" VR 44 Bbl over the LG 45WM barrel, the 45WM looks thicker, making the rib look short. I think it has the wider (more open) vents like the BM barrels.

Somewhere I have seen a 357 with the tall stantions AND the wider vents, and that might be a toss up for me vs the 44 8/1/2" VR with the wide vents. 

Pretty fussy aint I ;-) 

Obviously when you get that specific, you are talking about the BEST there is, so I guess its all good and either way, we are talking about personal preference and we all have different preferences.  ;-)
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:11pm

A pair of Brian Maynard 8 1/2" VR barrels (357 and 44)
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 10:13pm

So for whatever reason, I mind the new barrels a lot less when in Black.

Wonder if they have considered Black Chrome,,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8081828384>