FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe New Automag Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 84>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by 45 Year Wait 45 Year Wait wrote:

I think about that all the time but the Powers That Be up in Sacramento make you jump through all kinds of hoops to make sure THAT PARTICULAR GUN qualifies for the curios & relics list. It's a serious pain in the ass. I will be moved to Idaho or Kentucky before any of that would clear.

In the mid eighties, I was able to petition the BATFE into making a determination that the Auto Mag was a curio, and that it be added to the antique and curio list.  I was successful. 

Section II: Firearms Classified As Curios Or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44

"Auto-Mag pistols, calibers .44 AMP and .357 AMP, mfd and/or assembled by Auto-Mag Corporation, TDE, OMC, High Standard, Lee Jurras, or AMT from 1969 to 1985."

I really only petitioned to have the two shoulder-stocked Lee Jurras guns added to the Curio list.  I have no idea how they came up with this listing but it certainly is a benefit to Auto Mag collectors.  Previously, Lee Jurras  unsuccessfully petitioned the ATF to add his Auto Mag SBR's to the C&R list.  Nuke   Bruce

An armed society is a polite society.
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 11:13pm
45 year wait or 50 if you listen to PJ  LOL, where about are you in so/cal as in city, I have an idea for you
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:35am
Originally posted by 45 Year Wait 45 Year Wait wrote:

I think about that all the time but the Powers That Be up in Sacramento make you jump through all kinds of hoops to make sure THAT PARTICULAR GUN qualifies for the curios & relics list. It's a serious pain in the ass. I will be moved to Idaho or Kentucky before any of that would clear.

That is completely untrue. 

Thanks to Bruce Stark’s efforts, the Auto Mag in all its permutations is specifically listed in the second page of the C&R list. Thus any sale is considered a C&R sale. No special license is required if you go through an FFL. 

Find and buy a gun you like on Gunbroker or whatever, and have it shipped to your FFL. Then he will fill out the paperwork, listing it as a C&R sale, you go through the standard checks and pick it up 10 days later. 

The process is EXACTLY the same as it is for buying any other handgun you can legally buy in California. No hoops, no drama. There are two lists—the ‘List’ for modern guns, and the C&R list. 

I have done this personally, twice, in the very recent past, so I know this to be true. 

You are erecting psychological barriers to Auto Mag ownership that just don’t need to be there. 

This does NOT apply to the new models, note. This is only for the original guns.

Here is a link to the list:

Print out the first two pages and show to your FFL (although he will probably pull it up himself online).

It really is that simple. Go for it!!!
robocop View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 3:04am
I agree with P Mike 110%. I have never had a problem either. I have 6-7 CR guns and have never had a problem registering them. A couple of old lugers, WWI Colt 45's, a couple of S/W 44 Tripelocks, and of course an Automag (2 line N. Hollywood 357). It is either on the CR list or isn't. Period. No hassle with Sacramento. The pain in the butt is there are some nice pieces out there but some dealers/sellers in the US tell you they will not ship to California. And what is said, may of them do not even know the Automag is on the CR list!
45 Year Wait View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 7:41am
Answer to first question, I live in Vista, CA. San Diego County. The other info is GREAT to know because that $4K I got back from Patrick is still in the bank.
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by robocop robocop wrote:

I agree with P Mike 110%. I have never had a problem either. I have 6-7 CR guns and have never had a problem registering them. A couple of old lugers, WWI Colt 45's, a couple of S/W 44 Tripelocks, and of course an Automag (2 line N. Hollywood 357). It is either on the CR list or isn't. Period. No hassle with Sacramento. The pain in the butt is there are some nice pieces out there but some dealers/sellers in the US tell you they will not ship to California. And what is said, may of them do not even know the Automag is on the CR list!

Not Auto Mag relevant, but it’s worth mentioning that any gun more than 50 years old is automatically C&R. I recently bought a S&W Model 27 357 magnum. When shopping I had to check the serial number to ensure a prospective pistol was more than 50 years old. 

I have purchased two guns from sellers who adamantly refused to sell to California because of the increased difficulty (which apparently is not very difficult at all). In those cases I used a pass-through FFL. The seller shipped to an FFL in another state, who in turn shipped to my FFL. The cost was $25 for the service plus I had to pay shipping twice, from the seller to the pass-through, and then from the pass-through to my local FFL. It only added one day and a total of about $55 to the transaction. 

If you want something badly enough, most of the time there is a way! 
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 3:23pm
I am also able to add my voice to the C and R angle. My two AMPs were purchased within the last 2 years and I live in the People's Paradise of California, nord....

Jerry
golden24 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:01pm
I'm guess everyone got this message ?

"

Important Update from Auto Mag

"To our Auto Mag Family:
Due to the impact the COVID-19 is having in our area, our office will be closing for 2 weeks.  We will be checking messages periodically and will return calls as soon as possible.  The best way to contact us is by email or through our web site (automag.com).  Our production and manufacturing are still in operation, but some activities have slowed due to the effect the virus is having on our suppliers and vendors. 

Additionally; due to some order cancellations, we have a limited number of the Auto Mag 180  Founder and Classic editions available for Pre-Order.  Please call us at 843-756-0362 to take advantage of this offer.

We will continue to send updates of our situation in our newsletters.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.  Our best to you and your family during this difficult time.
Sincerely,

Patrick Henry III
Auto Mag Ltd, Co..
CEO, Managing Member  "                       
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:21pm
Yes.
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:52pm
Same here but considering what is going out in the world it was only a matter of time.
Stay safe everyone
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 84>