AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damn. My rear sight broke....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 10:11pm
Back in the saddle again. 

Thanks New Auto Mag! Thumbs Up
ELKHUNTJB View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELKHUNTJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2019 at 8:43pm
I just took my Auto Mag 44AMP 280 out of the safe for first time in about a year and the rear site fell on the floor. Fortunately I was able to find the spring and the top to the windage adjustment screw. I guess I'll be contacting the new Auto Mag and hope they can sell me a new screw. 
I was contemplating selling this gun along with the over 800 rounds of original factory ammo. 
Update:
Well, I contacted the new Auto Mag company and they have none of them left and the new gun uses a different rear site. 
Any suggestions?
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:27am
Did you ask Patrick if the new sight will fit on an older Automag ?????? and if it does how much it is Brian's had them for sale but he is no longer selling parts on the GB.
Might want to email Bruce stark and see if he can help you out, that's the reason I have a complete extra sight just in case this happens.
Good luck
Ed 
" Right turn Clyde "
edkel1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edkel1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 4:33am
Forgot to ask do you have the broken screw complete ?????????, I would like to see it.
I do have an idea but not going to break my spare one to see if it can be fixed that's why i'm asking if you have yours. Contact me in a PM
Thanks
Ed
" Right turn Clyde "
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:48am
Originally posted by tgt40 tgt40 wrote:

Kensight:  Great products, terrible customer service.

I'll agree on the terrible customer service. After emailing them daily for weeks, their eventual response was to try to get me to call sumdood on his personal cellphone. I finally gave up and put them on my "no buy" list.

Frankly, most of the sight companies have problems. For many of them, nobody on the customer-facing side seem to be able to get Sekrit Sqrrl information like, oh, dovetail angles or notch heights.
ELKHUNTJB View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELKHUNTJB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 5:36pm
I emailed you pictures of the screw and gun today. I'm waiting for an answer from the new Auto Mag if the new site will fit.
TankMan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TankMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 12:14am
Is everyone in love with the fact that the screw has a female hex to engage it for adjustments? Seems to me that if the screw was made with a shallow slot instead it should be stronger overall. If (when?) mine breaks I will try machining one that way.

Jerry
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 6:10am
Based on my single experience with a broken screw, it seems the weak spot is where the threaded shank joins the base of the head. The hex vs. slot seems to play no role in the head snapping off the shank. Perhaps if it had been made with a more gentle radius it would have been less prone to snapping there. 

We really need to come up with a batch of replacements if, as it seems, these are a periodic service item?
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Pantera Mike Pantera Mike wrote:

Based on my single experience with a broken screw, it seems the weak spot is where the threaded shank joins the base of the head. The hex vs. slot seems to play no role in the head snapping off the shank. Perhaps if it had been made with a more gentle radius it would have been less prone to snapping there. 

We really need to come up with a batch of replacements if, as it seems, these are a periodic service item?

I think your observation about why they break is spot on, as well as your recommendation to have a small batch made up.

Its one of the few problems I have actually seen repeated over the years. I love the look of the original rear site and would not want to change its appearance, but upgrading the strength of a part by better engineering and machining it without a change in appearance is a no-brainer.  

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 1:39am
I pulled these pictures off the Auto Mag website. I assume that these are actual pictures of what they offer (offered). Notice the thin material between the threads and the screw head.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>