AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How many automag V 50ae were built?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsteward22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many automag V 50ae were built?
    Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:28pm
Does anyone have an accurate number of how many AMT automag V 50ae were acually manufactured?
USA 1776 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 5:05am
Without records from AMT and Galena thats a tough ask. I've never seen anybody make a verifiable statement of the actual number. Consensus seems to be between 1200 - 1400. Great question, I'm hoping somebody else can narrow down the numbers.

I have a gun that seems to indicate Galena eventually ran out of .50 bbls. and made at least a few .45WMs w/ .50 frames AND slides! Imagine that...a MKIV marked slide w/ porting, unported bbl., on a "-3000" serialized frame!
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
jsteward22 View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsteward22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 3:45pm
I know that there were more than 1400 manufactured because I have seen a picture of one that the number was in the 1700s.
"I ain't doing nothing but I ain't thru yet" "I started with nothing and I still have most of it"
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:11pm
Without the records the number would still be a guess.

Mine is in the mid 1600's.  It doesn't mean that mine was made about 1/2 way through production.

AMT was fudging serial numbers so they could make it appear (to investors) that more were being produced and sold, than actually was.

Again, without the records, a rough guess would be about anyone can do.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by USA 1776 USA 1776 wrote:

Without records from AMT and Galena thats a tough ask. I've never seen anybody make a verifiable statement of the actual number. Consensus seems to be between 1200 - 1400. Great question, I'm hoping somebody else can narrow down the numbers.

I have a gun that seems to indicate Galena eventually ran out of .50 bbls. and made at least a few .45WMs w/ .50 frames AND slides! Imagine that...a MKIV marked slide w/ porting, unported bbl., on a "-3000" serialized frame!

USA, I have one like this also by AMT.  An AUTOMAG-IV 45WM with a "-3000" frame.  I'll have to look closer at the porting/slide/barrel.  Now you have me curious.

MY IAI AUTOMAG-IV 45WM is a "normal" serialized frame with "A00xxx" serial number.

Beer
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 1:24am
ok, Now that you said this- - " I have a gun that seems to indicate Galena eventually ran out of .50 bbls. and made at least a few .45WMs w/ .50 frames AND slides! Imagine that...a MKIV marked slide w/ porting, unported bbl., on a "-3000" serialized frame! "

I'll have to say this: What if you(AMT) decided to lower your inventory cost by using the same frame and slide for 2 models, ie. the 45winmag and the 50AE. So they start using one style, the 50AE frame/slide for both, thus you have a 45winmag with 50AE ported slide until those pre-ported slides were used up, 45winmag un-ported barrel and 50ae frame that works both. Forgot if the mag wells were different-see notes below.

By the way I have what I called a "Bastard Automag IV" thinking it was done by an "idiot" tearing down both his Automag V and IV at the same time and making an opps mixing parts as he put them together. After thinking about it I was wrong about that. 

Now I think maybe an Automag IV had issues and was sent back for repairs, they didn't have the Automag IV parts on hand and didn't want to run a batch of new slides knowing they were switching over soon but figured what the hell use a 50AE slide and frame and get it done. The slide is "factory" marked as Automag IV but it is a Automag V as noted inside the slide "50". The box is correctly marked to the frame, which is "A" prefix and it was made by AMT not Galena. There is also a bag of "Parts" noted as "45winmag" and they are all slide related, along with a recoil spring.

I also have another 45winmag Automag IV by Galena, the box is marked as such and matches the serial number. Which by the way they did make a run of these using the same tactic as the 50AE, hurry we are only going make 3000, order now!! So yep my frame has the XXX -3000 number system on it. The slide is marked "50" but no ports on it, one less step to do using the idea of one slide for both models thinking.

I also remember I did compare a lot of these two before on this forum, I'm sure if you dig you will find the notes and pics. I think the mags were a little different or the mag wells? Can't remember everything. Dig up the thread and bump it to the top again.

AMT stuff is so ODD but that's what I liked about it but who would have thought all the stuff like this would be going on!?
wbautomag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbautomag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 2:48am
Guys this has been discussed before the  IV & V parts will not interchange                 http://amtguns.info/automag-iv-and-v-questions-and-specs_topic1878.html                  
 Post Reply Post Reply