AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Oil or Lube to Use?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUCKW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Oil or Lube to Use?
    Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:11am
Can anyone recommend a good oil/lube for use on my Automag?  I read somewhere that you could not use just any lube as it could damage the stainless.
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:04am
I use FP-10. Be sure to follow your manual.
Gerry
CHUCKW View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHUCKW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:27am
Thanks, Gerry.
Pasadena-Joe View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasadena-Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 3:43pm
Been using Castrol 2 cycle motorcycle oil since Jurras told me to decades ago. 

One quart will last more than a lifetime.

Never had a problem with it and never had a need to look for anything else.

Seems to me some fellow in the north used to sell little bottles of red stuff that looked like transmission fluid or hydraulic oil and claimed it was the best oil you can use for AutoMags.  Not sure if he is even around any more.  Beel or Beal or something like that.  I think he mostly sold ammo.  Bought a box of ammo from someone once that had his name on  it and all the bullets were loaded upside down.  Like homemade full jacket full wadcutters. It was the damnedest thing I ever saw.  -Joe
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:23pm
RIG+ is what I have used on my Hardballers and my Automag II with good success.

I run a small bead along the frame rails and then warm it up with a heat gun and let it melt into the machined areas where metal-metal contact takes place.

If you can't find RIG+, then TW25 also works. But its thinner and doesn't stay put quite as well.

For the rest of the areas, I will echo FP-10.

I recommend only using what you need to for reliable shooting.
Travis Morgan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 6:57pm
FP-10 is the original factory recommended oil, err at least it was established that FP-10 was what came in the factory AM bottles.
Been around forever and is said to have properties specific to stainless steels to prevent galling.

There are tons of new synthetics on the market, but I still use original FP-10 for AutoMag
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Travis Morgan Travis Morgan wrote:

FP-10 is the original factory recommended oil, err at least it was established that FP-10 was what came in the factory AM bottles.
Been around forever and is said to have properties specific to stainless steels to prevent galling.

There are tons of new synthetics on the market, but I still use original FP-10 for AutoMag

FP-10 was not even around when the Auto Mags came out.  The Castrol Motorcycle oil is what came in the bottles.  It was awful stuff to use and I stuck with it for a lot of years.

The FP-10 was recommended on later AMT automags.

I have had good luck with Mobil 1 on my Auto Mags and some other stainless auto loaders that I think need a heavier oil.
Travis Morgan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by BEEMER1 BEEMER1 wrote:

Originally posted by Travis Morgan Travis Morgan wrote:

FP-10 was not even around when the Auto Mags came out.  The Castrol Motorcycle oil is what came in the bottles.  It was awful stuff to use and I stuck with it for a lot of years.

The FP-10 was recommended on later AMT automags.

I have had good luck with Mobil 1 on my Auto Mags and some other stainless auto loaders that I think need a heavier oil.

the "err" part meant I wasn't 100% sure - somewhere along the way I heard this ... in fact I wouldn't doubt if it was on the internet!

MPC was established in 85' so "been around forever" would be incorrect on my part, unless one was born after 1985!
Now it's going to bug me! Where the heck did the FP-10 recommendation come from?
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 12:48am
Brian Maynard was working at AMT when the FP-10 was promoted to them as the lube to use on the stainless automag II -V they were producing.

Brian said it worked wonders in their testing at the shop.  I have used it on many stainless guns with good results.  Good stuff.

I have used the Mobil 1 with good results and you can see it on your pistol.  I think that is why I like it.
Pasadena-Joe View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasadena-Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 1:48am
Clearly we must all live in different universes.

FP-10 was not even thought of when the first AutoMags were made, we are talking 1970!

I seem to recall FP-10 came out in like 1990.

As for Castrol motorcycle being the original AutoMag oil, not that I got.  The stuff I got was a thick almost white goo and when it dried on guns it looked like Cosmoline

It didnt look like any motor oil I eve saw, either 2 stroke or 4 stroke. 

It looked more like some industrial chemical than oil.  -Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>