AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Photo's
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

foam disintegration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: foam disintegration
    Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 4:20pm
When the foam has disintegrated I found some other stuff and did my own in-letting
When you are up to your neck in alligators it is hard to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp
Mark F View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 6:49pm
What is the second barrel? 357 AMP?

AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 1:55am
Nice work there. I have tried to inlet foam and I suck at it - would you mind sharing your method?
Rocketthon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 1:50pm
yes it is, picked that up after the pistol.
When you are up to your neck in alligators it is hard to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp
Rocketthon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by AndyC AndyC wrote:

Nice work there. I have tried to inlet foam and I suck at it - would you mind sharing your method?
I have one of those long thin packing knives where you just break off segments as it get dull, extend the whole thing and it will bend in an arc, then you can take chunks out in a smooth line.
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 6:45pm
Got it - I'll give that a try next time, I have one of those. Thank you!
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 5:17pm
There are 2 main types of foam these days for gun cases.

"Closed" (what is in the pic) and "Open" cells.

Close is what is "best" for firearms, as it doesn't attract moisture and is more rigid.
Open is softer and what you find in nearly 99% of all gun cases.

The open foam is deisgned more for transportation than long term storage in humid climates.

The "grey" open foam used today is vastly different than the stuff they make car seats from long ago that many firearms were shipped in. I spoke with a chemical engineer who works with this stuff and he is also a gun nut. He tries to use "closed" when it makes sense, but grey open is what he works with when helping companies like Pelican/Hardigg.

Dances with AutoMags View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dances with AutoMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2019 at 8:33pm
Look at the foam damage to the gun in this video.  The video is from late last year and is pretty accurate except he gets a few "years" wrong.
The damage to the right hand side of the gun has been cleaned up a bit but still looks bad.  Look at the cocking-piece and the front of the barrel.  There are visible sanding marks left on the surface of the barrel extension.  I hope the open foam used by Auto Mag has been eliminated or changed to not eat-up stainless steel.

There is some staining on the left hand side of the receiver but it would have endangered the markings to try to clean it up. 

These damaged guns are great to buy at a good price so you can use the frame for another project.  The worse the damage, the better the price.

An armed society is a polite society.
jkelley209 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkelley209 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:35pm
AndyC View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 1:23am

Post Reply Post Reply