AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the longest OAL I can load to?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the longest OAL I can load to?
    Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 1:11am
Fast question.  I've started loading for my new Auto Mag.  The first batch I loaded was just some simple plated Berry's 240 grain meplats in order to test function and such.  I loaded those to the listed 1.600 OAL length that most .44 AMP cartridges seem to list at.

However, as I was playing around, I found some old 240 grain, jacketed Speer Flat Points that have a cannelure.  The lowest I could seat them and get a grip on the cannelure was about 1.640 inch.  I really don't want to seat them lower as I don't want to seat them too deep and crank my chamber pressures up too high.  I do not have any Auto Mag mags hanging around at the moment.

Any advice as to an "approximate" max length I can load to?  I have seen 1.695 in my 9th Edition Hornady manual.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 4:13pm
It all depends on if it feeds or not.  I would just load a few and try it.

Remember that the 44 AMP headspaces on the mouth so watch how much your are crimping.  You really need to taper crimp the case so the cannelure does not mean much.

I would not get too many rounds loaded ahead of time.  Just get your cases sized, primed, and flared and the loading does not take much time.  Easier than pulling a bunch of rounds down that do not work.
desertmoon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:38am
I do taper crimp.  I am right at the nominal case mouth dimension.

I think I'll hold off for now....BUT anyone who has some other OALs that they use besdies 1.600....please chime in.
Porterhouse View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porterhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:54pm
I always load as long as they feed in magazine & chamber smoothly. It depends on the bullet shape but usually 1.63"~1.65". I completely ignor cannelure. 
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Porterhouse Porterhouse wrote:

I always load as long as they feed in magazine & chamber smoothly. It depends on the bullet shape but usually 1.63"~1.65". I completely ignor cannelure. 

Thank you, Porterhouse.....I am gonna run about 28 or so at 1.640±.005 and see how they fare.
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 2:46pm
I read a while back that for guns that chamber on the case mouth, its better/safer to sacrafice a couple of cases and bullets to figure out what you need.

Load a 2-3 cases with your preferred bullets "long" and slowly work the action to figure out if they will go into battery.

When I had my Wildey 475, I did this. I then used a bullet puller to extract the bullets from the dummy rounds, except for one. I carefully drilled out the flash hole and filled it with epoxy so that I had a "reference".
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 12:19am
Originally posted by CrazyLarry CrazyLarry wrote:

I read a while back that for guns that chamber on the case mouth, its better/safer to sacrafice a couple of cases and bullets to figure out what you need.

Load a 2-3 cases with your preferred bullets "long" and slowly work the action to figure out if they will go into battery.

When I had my Wildey 475, I did this. I then used a bullet puller to extract the bullets from the dummy rounds, except for one. I carefully drilled out the flash hole and filled it with epoxy so that I had a "reference".

We are definitely on the same wavelength, Larry.  I make "profile rounds" for all of .308 rifles in order to test function, clambering and live round ejection.

Post Reply Post Reply