AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recoil rod & spring clarification

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 4:29pm
Looks like you did a nice even job. I see what you mean about roughness on the inner part of the bolt. 

In the machining world it is referred to as "chatter marks" which usually show up on difficult to machine materials such as stainless. Could have happened from a combination of that along with running the endmill (cutter) at too high a speed or too low of a feed rate, but most often it will happen on a finishing cut if the feed of the endmill is heading in the wrong direction - what one wants in order to get a smooth finish cut is to preform what is known as "climb milling" (where the teeth of the cutter are digging in to the direction of cut travel) - and through my years of experience never use two flute endmills in deep pocket operations as they have a tendency to flex and bell out at the bottom of a cut ...always stick with a four flute center cut endmill for best results.

Anyway, that is all just for hearsay as to what may have happened during its' production. 

The best and easiest way to get rid of those marks without removing too much material would be to use a small sanding drum attachment for your dremel - that should be able to get in there and remove those marks if it is still a problem for function. The sanding drum would allow for an even and controllable micro removal..... in steady hands.
Pasadena-Joe View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasadena-Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:47pm
My Pasadena feels very gritty when you pull the bolt back, but works 100% reliable. 

Now my El Monte is very smooth but can sometimes be finicky.

Not sure what makes one more reliable than another, but it just feeling smooth is not the whole answer.

Also seem to remember reading that the recoil rods were the .200 size up to some serial number, maybe like 7000 or 8000 then they changed to the smaller ones.

There are a bunch of Kent Lomont stories somewhere on this site that got lots of AutoMag information.  -Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12