AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Automag IV recoil spring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbautomag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 1:40pm
I posted on this some time back that I had got a Galena time frame 45win.mag. marked IV that was actually a V 50ae it had all the markings and a ser.# of a IV but it was not a IV. I tried the slide on a IV and it did not fit and the cut in the breech was to big for the 45wm it would not hold the cartridge but would the 50ae I think they used the 50 stuff they had left over and stuck a 45wm barrel in them and call it a 45wm and sold them as such. The 50ae had ser.#s  xxxx 3000 not a  A0xxx . There was to be 3000 of the 50ae's but did not make it.  But didnt anyone seem to want to beleave me.           http://www.amtguns.info/more-automag-mysteries_topic1747.html
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:15pm
I never said I didn't believe you, that is for sure. There are so many things that went on with this brand. It makes me enjoy looking and learning about them. I remember somebody(prob you) said this before about the breech and how it caused you issues. I think I said that I believe they (Galena) were maybe trying to use the 50 frame/slide for both the IV and V to avoid keeping two different frame/slide in inventory versus just using one set frame/slide. Cuts inventory in half that way, makes sense if it was done correctly, meaning to keep the basic piece as finished as possible. Then doing a few finish machine steps to finalize it's model. I'm not a machinist so not sure if it can be done or is worth doing money wise this way. Only the people that were working/design there could answer some of these questions, wish they would! 
I just never followed up and doc the stuff I had and asking others to give info about this issue.
One day I will get around to making a list of things about this, among a lot of others things. I will also note your comment about the serial number as well because your comment here. 
I currently own 2 IV and V's so I can start checking and noting on these, will try this coming winter when I have more time. I also had a V and IV that I sold, can't check them but can include those serial number on the list.
I hoping to get a caliper soon as I want to spec all my AMT stuff when time allows along with starting to reload. I have some odd caliber stuff and reloading is the only way to make sure it's done right or even get it done at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12