AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My pistil won't lock open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My pistil won't lock open
    Posted: 16 May 2016 at 1:49am
I got my pistol out today to clean. I have not shot my pistol in over two years because of illness. 
Bottom line: I can't get the bolt to lock open. I am planning on disassembling and cleaning the pistol this week.
What should I look for?
Gerry
MI
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 3:10am
I assume you are talking regular Auto Mag???

If so, pull the grip off the left side and make sure the pin in the mag is aligning with the holdopen.

I have never seen it myself, but I have heard of the holdopen breaking where it engages with the bolt.

You should also make sure the bold is coming back all the way, so as to allow the holdopen to engage with the bolt.

You can also pull the right side grip and make sure the retaining clip did not come off the holdopen pin (above the trigger)

ATB

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 12:32am
Gerry,

do you have more than one magazine?  Try a different magazine.  The pin not aligning is a common issue.  One of the biggest issues with the Triple K mags is this, they require tuning.  And Factory mags vary from gun to gun.  And the retaining clip coming off and allowing the holdopen to "walk" over can cause it to miss the pin.

Did you disassemble the magazine to clean it or put in a new spring?  It's real important to put the pin back in the same depth. 

Jason
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:25am
Triple crap,,,

Can you make them work, maybe, but its not worth it. 

Get a good factory mag, they are worth triple the cost of the KKK mag.

Well thats one Auto Mag snobs opinion  ;-) 

gh

BTW - anyone who prefers KKK mags can trade me there factory mags one for one and I'll pay the shipping both ways  Embarrassed
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:02am
It is penciled in this weekend after I spread some mulch!
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 11:54am
Just bought 3 yards of mulch myself.  YUCK,,, not looking forward to spreading it all out.

We are in the need to cut your grass twice a week period, mine looks out of control in only a week and we have become the favorite yard for the Canadian Geese (damn pain in the ass bird) 

Feel free to call me over the weekend if you open the gun up and want to talk to someone in real-time.

gh
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:52am
Remember GH they are migratory bird eventhough they never leave.
Damn Feds.
Gerry

jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 12:08pm
GH,

The triple K's have worked fine for me, provided you polish the follower, replace the spring with a wolff, and don't worry about the holdopen.  However, I seem to have problems with factory mags working in all guns.  Probably 75% of them interchange, but once in a while you find a gun where it just won't work out (tolerance stacking  of errors I presume).  However, I agree factory mags are the best.  The later stainless Triple K's seem to be better, but they are kinda scarce.  I think they only did one run.

Jason

Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Gerry Gerry wrote:

Remember GH they are migratory bird eventhough they never leave.
Damn Feds.
Gerry

Our only proven control so far is the dog, our uninvited guests do not like dogs!

gh
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by jw4570 jw4570 wrote:

GH,

The triple K's have worked fine for me, provided you polish the follower, replace the spring with a wolff, and don't worry about the holdopen.  However, I seem to have problems with factory mags working in all guns.  Probably 75% of them interchange, but once in a while you find a gun where it just won't work out (tolerance stacking  of errors I presume).  However, I agree factory mags are the best.  The later stainless Triple K's seem to be better, but they are kinda scarce.  I think they only did one run.

Jason

I'll be the first to admit I have had fit problems with factory mags, some fit some don't.

As for the Triple K mags;  I have found some dont lock in, like the mag release slot was mis-cut.  I have yet to see one where the follower was fully finished.  The cheesy screw used to replace the hold open pin is not even threaded in and will just fall out eventually, or drag against the frame/grips/holdopen lever. Clearly the spring is way to light.  The mag lips are not well formed and for some reason tend to open up over time. 

On a positive note I will say that the stainless triple K mags are better looking than factory mags.  So if you don't shoot the gun and you don't want to buy a new spring and pin and refinish the follower and fit the lockup slot and worry about the fitting the feed lips (and refitting them when they open up), well it would look good in a display case with a presentation gun. Embarrassed

Opinionated aint I,,,

GH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>