AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10mm Pistols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA 1776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 6:05pm
Also, see if Wildey would build 2 of those. Tell him one is for the guy who traded him an AMP awhile back. Traded for a .357 AMP bbl., which is probably what those blanks are for.
I think, for such a custom job, it would be better if he was dealing with just one person.
'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.' Ronald Reagan
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by USA 1776 USA 1776 wrote:

Also, see if Wildey would build 2 of those. Tell him one is for the guy who traded him an AMP awhile back. Traded for a .357 AMP bbl., which is probably what those blanks are for.
I think, for such a custom job, it would be better if he was dealing with just one person.

They built a few of the 357 Wildeys back in the 80's.  No body wanted to mess with the ammo so they dropped it.

George is trying to see if they still have the reamer and the drawing it was made off of.  With that I could get loading/forming dies built which could take 6 months.  Their Office is not where Wildey Moore lives so they do not see him that often and he does not know if Wil will remember what happened to the reamers or not.

I will let you know.

Added later

After thinking about it, I am going to see if they would be interested in making a 357 AMP barrel also.
desertmoon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 2:54am
Originally posted by Auto Mag Auto Mag wrote:

WOW, never heard of this before.

Have there been problems with Bbl/Chambers in Delta's ???

I recall problems with the slides in the earliest batch of Delta's

GH

Actually, Deltas can handle up to Norma "proper" 10mm loads and even a couple of the high end ammo makers say that the Delta can handle their ammo.

That being said....a properly made, fully ramped 10mm, correctly sprung and timed 1911 leaves no guessing room....

That's why my Delta is being fully re-barrelled.
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 4:45am
I have to admit that I have never paid too much attention to the Bbl on my Delta/Gold Cup.  Having shot countless thousands of really hot hand loads through .45 Govt models without any signs of Bbl/chamber problems, I have always assumed the 10mm Bbl (which should have a much thicker Bbl/chamber) was safer/more capable.

On another note, I had both my Delta Gold Cup out and a couple Auto Mags this weekend, and given all the focus on reducing the level of effort to cycle the Auto Mags, I couldnt help but notice how much harder it was to cycle the slide on my DGC than the Auto Mags. 

I may well be the odd man out, but I have never thought cycling an Auto Mag was too bad, but I HAVE always thought cycling my DGC was very bad! 

I assume all 10mm 1911's use heavy recoil springs and are difficult to cycle;  yes/no ???

My particular CZ75 variant was one of the 9mm/41AE kit guns and when I have it set up with the 41AE Bbl and recoil spring, it too is a very difficult gun to cycle.  In part due to the very limited surface area you have to grab on the slide. 

They both make the Auto Mag seem very manageable by comparison. 

Curious to hear about others experiences with 10mm 1911's. 

gh
Who was that masked man,,,
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 5:02am
The bronze ten mil that I built is easy to handle with regular "Norma" type loads.....when you get to Underwood and Corbon type stuff it'll make your hand buzz after a few magazines.  It is definitely more stout than my .45s.

That being said, I like the ".357ness" of 10mm.  You have a LOT of load flexibility with it just the the .357 magnum...you can run the gamut from soft to hard loads and everything in between.  It's a FANTASTIC cartridge.
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:26pm
GH  

I find that all 10mm have very stiff recoil springs and are hard to "rack".  The new Sig 220 is about as stiff as any I can remember.  I have not even taken it apart to see what it has for a spring.  The guys on the 10mm Forum are running much stiffer springs to shoot "nuclear loads" and to prevent the slide from opening too soon.  I believe some are running 24# recoil springs.  It also reduces the distance the brass gets thrown.

My oldest AMP, which is the one I have shot the most, has always been stiff to cock.  It got better as I shot it more.

I have a Jurras "tuned" Custom 357 which is much easier to cock.  I also have several  Lomont "tuned" AMP's and they are even easier to cock.  If one would go through the "polishing" procedures as laid out by Lee and Kent, I feel the force to cock all AMP's could be cut nearly in half.
AUTOMAG View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUTOMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:14pm
My RIA 10's are all running a 25 pound mainspring and the recoil springs on the full size are 20 pounds and the Mid Size are at 24 pound.
"This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints"!!!
BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:37pm
Thanks John, that reminds me that the guys on the 10mm Forum also put in a stiffer mainspring and a flat bottom firing pin retainer.  They are using the hammer to help resist the slide opening too soon.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:20am
Originally posted by BEEMER1 BEEMER1 wrote:

Thanks John, that reminds me that the guys on the 10mm Forum also put in a stiffer mainspring and a flat bottom firing pin retainer.  They are using the hammer to help resist the slide opening too soon.

Yup.  That is part of my Delta build.  By the way,  Harrison Design has a specific FPStop that is built for exactly this purpose.

It is a GORGEOUS unit.

Also, by the nature of the ten mil extractor ( which is the .38 Super / 9 mm profile ) I use SOLELY Cylinder and Slide extractors because they are specifically built of spring steel.
usrguns View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usrguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 5:13pm
Well figured it was time to show the family.  These are to 10's that I have acquired over the years.  And yes the 10mm is one of my favorite rounds.  The picture is not the best but if you would like a close up of any of them just let me know.  AS Numbered:
1.  AMT 10mm Magnum
2.  Wyoming Arms 10mm Longslide
3.  AMT Javalina 10mm Lonslide
4.  AMT Javilina 10mm
5.  Colt Delta Elite 10MM Hard chromed with custom elk antler grips!
6.  Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm
7.  Wyoming Arms 10mm
8.  Kimber Eclipse Target 10mm
9.  S & W 610 10mm
10. Dan Wesson Commander 10mm
11. Dan Wesson 10mm (Serial #001) Bought directly from Dan Wesson Arms
12. Colt Delta Elite two tone custom.
13. RIA 10mm
If you can't have fun doing it, then don't do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>