AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning the port holes on an AMT-II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning the port holes on an AMT-II
    Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 4:45pm
If this has been brought up before I apologize.  If you could, could you please point me to the thread.
If not, maybe Mr. Grossman might have some advice.

How in the heck do you clean the port holes on the AMT-II barrels?  Wacko

Larry, do you have any hints, tips, tricks that you'd be willing to share?

Thanks.

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 2:43am
I'm no Larry But I was told you could "shoot it clean" by using the proper ammo(ball type), just have to keep working them though till it works again. What I have done is use a dental pick to at least make sure the ports a least are clear, then soak the barrel standing up (chamber facing down, not using a lot solvent that way) in a jar using "hoppe9" for a couple days. Then take it out and shake it dry, use proper ammo to check.
I never had a badly clogged one and always used proper ammo type so really had no issues. All mine were "lightly" used when I purchased them.

How does anybody else clean them?
sirsaka View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirsaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 4:18am
"shoot it clean" is indeed the appropriate phrase. When we received AMII's in the service dept and knew they had federal ammo shot thru them, we would simply take a few rounds of Winchester Suoer X ammo to the range and yes, shoot it clean. That's all it takes...in most cases. If you have an early model with the smaller ports, you could have additional problems but typically this is the resolve. No matter what you've been told, always, ALWAYS use Winchester Super X ammo. The gun was designed around it. Am I right Larry?
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 4:22pm
Early model had smaller ports?? Why the change? How can you tell what ports you have? Were the barrels interchangable? Any markings or way to check what ports you have?
Tell us more please
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 4:48pm
Winchester Super X is still being made?  I haven't seen any in so long that I thought was no longer being made.  Is it just sold/packaged differently now?

I did run across this:  http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0069.  I thought it was very interesting seeing the Winchester box on the CCI page.

That being said, I have also found that there are a couple different types of 22WM ammo.  Some are for pistol and some are for rifle.  Some have lower FPS and some have higher FPS.

Back in the day, was Winchester one of the only "manufacturers" of 22WM for the rifle?  Was the ball-type powder used in the rifle ammo to give it higher FPS? 

I have also run across this (note the "note" at the bottom of the page): http://www.excelarms.com/handguns/acceleratorpistol.html

After soaking my barrels in a solution of Simple Green and CLR, in an ultrasonic cleaner overnight and using a can of brake cleaner to blow out the holes the best I could, I took my 6" AMT-II out and it shot everything I put into it - CCI, Remington, Federal and another one that escapes me right now.  They were all high velocity rounds, mostly 40gr but one was 36gr (I believe).

The initial post was hoping to hear from Larry, and anyone else, if there are any hints, tips or tricks to ensuring the port holes are clean and clear.  "Shooting it clean" hadn't entered my mind even though Brian had told me that before (LOL).

This also brings up the question whether "Winchester Super X" is still the only ammo to use now that there are other types/manufacturers out there?

sirsaka View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirsaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 5:20pm
Very early on when the first few guns had been produced and sold, Larry made a change to the port hole size, making them larger. This was for better cycling. There weren't many and most came back for functioning issues. We swapped out the barrels and replaced with larger port barrels. The smaller port barrels functioned but they were borderline so Larry went bigger for added comfort. All the barrels swap out without any issues except I still wonder if High Standard made a change to the mounting hole location. Back when Larry was designing the AMII, there was a lot of difference between .22WMR ammo makers. Winchester Super X was clean and very reliable in the gun while CCI was too quick burning, blowing rims off the brass and Federal was so dirty that only 2 to 3 rounds functioned before the dirty powder clogged the ports. I still use only Winchester Super X in mine and it functions flawlessly. I haven't bought any in a while but I believe it is still available. I have heard the Federal is now cleaner and CCI is a bit slower. I do believe that all .22WMR is considered rifle ammo and there is none designated for pistol. However, I have been wrong before. I know of only two semi-auto pistols that use the stuff- the AMII and the Grendel. But I'm getting old so.....That's really about all I got. Sleepy
LARSCHOP100 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag
AUTOMAG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LARSCHOP100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 8:29pm
There should be no reason to clean the ports , when I tested a AM II , with many rounds , then took the sleeve off the barrel ( it was only pinned ) there was no residue , just a little black , but clean !!
sirsaka View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirsaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 8:35pm
A pinned sleeve Larry? When did you change from the weld? Or did High Standard do the change. I actually saw a High Standard barrel a couple years back and although the sleeve (shroud) was round, not "D" shaped, it had no pin. ???Confused
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 11:22pm

Thank you for the insight.  Pinned?  Was that for testing only?

So, could the "recent problems" (the last 20years?) be from the various manufacturers of the 22WM ammo?  Winchester initiated it for their rifles and used a more powerful load and ball-type powder for their rifles, then after a few years more manufacturers started making their own recipes and NOT using ball-type powder and lighter loads?

When you designed it, you found Winchester (to be the only?) manufacturer of 22WM ammo and that is why it was the recommended ammo for the AMT-II?

I'm just trying to figure this out.  Maybe I should just take it out and enjoy anything that I can run through it?  I just hate when it starts failing to eject.  Everything, and every one, has blamed the port holes being plugged, but that may not be the case with today's ammo?   Cry

I don't know but would like to try and figure it out.

Thanks.
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 4:32pm
The semi-pistols out there for 22mag. that I know of are: 
AMT Automag II with barrel ports
Grendel with fluted chamber
Current production Kel-Tec PMR 30 (don't own, not sure how they have the barrel set up).

I never had bad issues with mine getting dirty as I never shot them before knowing about these ports/gas system and then getting the correct listed ammo. I'm sure others just laugh at the ammo suggested and figure ammo is ammo or AMT was getting a kickback for promoting that ammo brand not knowing of the "gas system", and of course not reading the manual to understand why.

Some AM II had a "notice" paper in with it to use only "ball Powder ammo" and CCI was changing to this style. So if you had older CCI return it for the new "ball powder" style. Most of this good info. was in the manuals but people never read that stuff till it's too late. Now with the "used" gun market, some didn't come with manuals and people are not aware of this "gas system" so they shot bad ammo, causing many issues, then selling the trouble piece to the next uninformed person, who  then gets to  experience bad things and so on. Until it gets to one of us informed persons who gets the chore of "cleaning" it.
Larry, you said your "TEST" AM II had a pinned barrel, why was it produced with a welded one?
You also stated when you tested you had nothing but black, were you using only the "ball powder" for the test? or all types/brands of ammo. If only Win super "X", maybe that's the reason it stayed clean? Just think of how many were shot with "dirty" ammo and they blamed the firearm.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>