AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ammo recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ammo recommendations
    Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 6:02pm
I am just now getting my 44 auto mag.  I've read that the original CDM ammo will gunk up my gun, and the original Norma ammo is too hot and will tear up my gun.  

(1)  Are there any commercially available loads that will not gunk up nor tear up my new pride and joy?

(2)  Does anybody have a good recommendation on what kind of powder and how many grains for a certain type of bullet I should use if I do my own reloads?

Thanks.
David

Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:26pm
Hi David, welcome to the AMT forum.

Just an answer to your first question, yes, the person in the link is offering 44 AMP ammunition.
I believe member USRguns have tried them and can give more info about them.

dbailey View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 8:58pm
Thanks.  I'll check them out.  I'll probably wind up reloading my own once I get my press set up and get some good reloading data info and powder recommendations.  
AutoMagyar View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutoMagyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 9:36pm
dbailey,
Welcome to the forum. You'll love that .44 AMP.

For your question item 2 :
You're already in the right section of the forum, the Pet Loads area.
There is already a wealth of info in here, but you need to sift through to find the threads with the info you seek.  Seek and ye shall find.  Sorry I don't know the exact locations of the threads you'd be looking for, but they're in there. Maybe someone else can chime in if they have them bookmarked or something.  There are also a few load data sheets for both .357 & .44 AMP available for download on Ian's AMT Info site.

BTW, one of the best sources of info for working up your handloads (and to start off, you really SHOULD work them up incrementally to find what works in YOUR pistol) is in Bruce Stark's book"Auto Mag the Pasadena Days".  It has a transcript of an excellent article on some load work-up experimentation done with different powders.  Worth the price of the book alone almost, but it has a lot more great stuff in it too.

You would be well advised to get yourself a copy of that book (Bruce's, aka Auto Mag Whisperer here on the forum), as well as Brian Maynard's "Auto Mag Owner's Reference Manual".   Both of those books are 'must-haves' in my opinion for any serious Auto Mag owner, in order to get to know your Auto Mag and maintain it.  A lot of maintenance tips in Brian's book.

The original Auto Mag Shooters Manual (the original printed owner's manual) can be found for download I think on Ian's AMT Info site too, or a printed copy of it from Brian.

In short though, start looking for some WW296 or H110 powder. That's the ticket for the AMP reloading, at least with the most common powders for it in North America.  Our European brethren use some alternative ones I believe, like Ramshot, etc.

Cheers.
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
Olestick View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olestick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 9:33pm
Where can I buy a set of 357 automag dies
Jwplinke1
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 10:42pm
This isn't probably what you want to hear but..... eBay?  Gun Broker?  Local gun show?  Maybe call CH4D, RCBS, Hornady.  They don't list on their sites, but that doesn't mean that they don't offer them as a "custom".

If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
usrguns View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usrguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Luc V. Luc V. wrote:

Hi David, welcome to the AMT forum.

Just an answer to your first question, yes, the person in the link is offering 44 AMP ammunition.
I believe member USRguns have tried them and can give more info about them.

The item has closed out but if it was American Custom Ammunition, Yes I have used him and still use him for some of my ammunition.  I know him personally and can attest to his quality.  Every round the, powder is hand weighed, so that each round will be consistant.  When you get your ammunition you will swear it is factory made, but I assure you it is not.  No factory will put into each round the attention that Robert does.  it is cheaper if you send him your brass, but he can do virgin brass if you want.  He will load with whatever powder you want or bullet. He is an awesome person to talk to and his knowledge is extensive.  This is what he does for a living and take pride in every step of the process.  Any questions feel free to IM me!!!
If you can't have fun doing it, then don't do it.
tgt40 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tgt40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 7:24pm
If you search on RCBS' site you'll find they offer both .357 and .44 Auto Magnum dies for sale.  170.00 for new dies.  Not bad.  Like others have said, if you're patient, you can find the on Ebay, eventually, for somewhat less.

You can't beat W296 or H110 powder like AutoMagyar said and I like magnum primers.  Starline is listing .44 brass that you can easily form .357 brass from.

Welcome to the boards, good luck feeding your AM and let us know how it goes!

Post Reply Post Reply