AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt rotation pin question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt rotation pin question
    Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 12:40am
Hi,
I ordered a new bolt rotation pin for my Pasadena Auto Mag.

I received one with some twisted groove on it.
I was told by the seller they're all the same.
Could you confirm this?
Thanks.

omie01 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 11:56pm
I have seen this on at least one of my guns.
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 3:06am
The machinist didn't back off the cutting tool when winding it back off the workpiece.

It's not just a sign of poor workmanship, it's a good way to damage the cutting edge of the tool.
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 9:50pm
I can't imagine a machinist would run the tool down the part after the LAST CUT.

My guess is the operator didn't plan on that being the last pass and intended to make another cut, but when he mic'd it, the diameter was already at or near nominal, so that was it.

But....either way, it's pretty sloppy work.

Tony

BEEMER1 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEEMER1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 12:05am
Maybe it's an oil groove.  Wink
AutoMagyar View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutoMagyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:56pm
At least that part there looks like it should be semi-easy to reproduce by reverse engineering it, if you really had to,  depending on the material spec.  Not like some of the other orignal parts that are castings. This rotation pin  has a pretty simple geometry to it. Good that you were able to get a real spare part though, and that score mark doesn't look like it should make much of a difference function-wise, as long as the main OD of the pin is good.
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
AMTFAN44 View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMTFAN44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:14pm
I'd stone, what appears to be a tiny dent, on the bottom corner of the pin, before I'd install that in one of my guns. But, I suffer from OCD.

I concur on the "Oil-Groove", nothing to worry about there. Just lazy machining.
"Maybe we could build a fire, sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?"
John Nada View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2015 at 12:37pm
Except Omie01, nobody saw a pin like this one?

sirsaka View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirsaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 2:14am
Originally posted by TRX302 TRX302 wrote:

The machinist didn't back off the cutting tool when winding it back off the workpiece.

It's not just a sign of poor workmanship, it's a good way to damage the cutting edge of the tool.

Sad but true.Ouch
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
omie01 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 10:38pm
I would just polish it with some 1000 grit sandpaper and keep it well lubed, should work fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply