AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fixed the Automag II...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixed the Automag II...
    Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 7:12pm
Good day.  It's been a while since I posted.  Don't shoot all that much but when I do it always seems to be a poor day of it.

I've always been plagued with short cycle jams, (fire the round, the slide pulls the case back just far enough back to exit the breech but not enough to hit the ejector then mashes it back into the breech and your done).  I tried Hornady, 2 types Remington, Winchester, CCI all produce similar results only with maybe a few more shots in between jams.

My attempts to remedy the problem were many.  Started with the usual tear down and thorough cleaning/lube etc.  I then went on to polish the slide rails, the ramp, the bolt riser and the breech opening.  Then carefully worked the magazine guides so that the round was perfectly pushed up the ramp and into the chamber.  I found that the hammer's spring guide was bent from a dropped hammer with the slide off.  And I replaced the firing pin and spring as it was light tapping some rounds failing to fire.

All that and she still wouldn't cycle more than a few rounds without the jamming above occurring.

So, after my recent outing at the range, frustrated and searching.  I google searched recoil spring issue for the gun.  I found others had cut down the recoil spring and solved their problem.  So, what the heck, I can always put a new one in.  I removed three coils and reinstalled.

I'm very pleased to report that it is perfect now!  Ran 40 rounds through it without a hickup!  Like it enough I found another one and pick it up tomorrow.

Here a quick video of the action after the cut spring.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It5eTRIdZas&feature=youtu.be

I shot both Hornady and Remington that day.

Hope you all can benefit from my experience.  Right or wrong it worked great for me.

Regards,
Bill
mymdAMT View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymdAMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 8:42pm
Been there, done that! I did the return spring the other night: been waiting for a less than teen temp day to take her for a walk!
Going up to the range next Monday to do training for MD carry permit, so will try it then, for sure.
John
Markdam View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 9:30am
how many coils were cut.
WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Markdam Markdam wrote:

how many coils were cut.

3 Coils.

Regards,
Bill
Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 4:38am
I started with 1 full coil, then cut 1/2 a coil at a time after that. Trying rounds after each cut. Yeah it was a pain, but you don't want to cut off too much. You can always cut more, but it is VERY difficult to put them back on. LOL

I believe 2 1/2 coils did "ok", but 3 was good in mine too.
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 7:00am
I have never had any issues, maybe I'm lucky and got a Weds production model.
This is a gas assistant system, did you check your cases for imprint? Maybe a few ports are clogged and prevents it to float fast enough which would eat up your recoil pressure to properly cycle. IF they all show, are they full circles? IF they are then have you check the gas "in" ports? They are much harder to "feel" if fully open but if there is a slight clog it would prevent the proper metered(yes, precision amount) gas going into the system as well as the out needed at the correct time to float the casing loose for extraction at the right time.
Hate to mess with what worked when new but something went afowl with yours. Ill bet you guys purchase these used? Maybe owner really messed up the gas system only to pass off onto another to fix.
Just my thoughts.
John,I hope you snap that recoil spring guide rod into it's proper position, not sure if any damage can happen with it in that state but it's not correct. It should show level with your barrel and not tilted as your picture shows.
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 4:33pm
That is a 2015 post resurrected.

John doesn't have it anymore.  I ended up buying it.  When i was finally able to get it home i noticed that it was very "tight".  The cerakoting was in the frame and slide grooves creating a fair amount of resistance.  I sandblasted the cerakote off.  I thought "what the heck, let's spend some time on the buffing wheel and polish this up a bit being the original finish is already destroyed."

When i received it the guide rod was not in the position as in the picture.  That being said, the guide rod was not fully seated either.  The hammer strut was also bent.

As i was polishing the frame, slide, feed ramp, etc., the barrel and all internal parts where spending some time in the ultrasonic cleaner.  After 15 mins there was nasty stuff in the bottom of the cleaner, which told me that it got some grunge out from somewhere.  So i ran the parts for about another 30+ minutes.  I assume it was the barrel and springs where the gunk came from as that is about the only things that i could think of at the time.  After pulling the barrel out of the cleaner i blasted the holes the best i could with a full can of brake cleaner.

I put it all back together and took it to the range.  When i put it back together i installed a "new" recoil spring (one that was slightly longer than the one i took out of it), but still brought the shorter spring with me.  Why?  I have no clue, but i'm glad i did.  It "short stroked" on me with various ammo and various grains (30gr, 35gr and 40gr).

Pondering this for a bit i figured i'd put the shorter spring in.  30gr did ok.  35gr did great, as did the 40gr stuff.

WVWRZ500N View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVWRZ500N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 5:29pm
I have 2 of the AM II in 6-inch.  This was the first one I purchased.  It frustrated me for a time until I took the coils off then it ran great no matter what I feed it.  The 2nd pistol hasn't needed the same treatment.  I have no clue as to the reason for one and not the other.  They are nice little guns and fun to shoot when tuned up.

Glad my experience could be of help to others.

Post a picture of the 'cleaned up' gun Luvz.

Regards,
Bill Wilson
Lee's Summit, MO
816-377-3185
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 5:44pm
HAHAHA

I would love to, but i can't.  It is in pieces as it is being used to prototype some "projects" that i am working on.

I used it for the prototying because i knew it worked before i took it apart.  So I wouldn't question if it is the gun that is causing "issues" during prototyping.  Hope that makes sense.

I will post when all is finished and back together though, if folks really want/care.

I wish there were an AMT "grouping", and then sub-forums that we could branch into and post on.  This way it doesn't "clog" the Auto Mag forum that this is meant to be.....

Oh well, maybe one day???

That is why i was posting on an old topic too.  If it helps someone in the future, then it is all good!

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply