AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

44 AMP Ramshot load.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 7:03pm
To Old44, heavier bullet weights will work easier in the recoil operated Auto Mag.

George, reloading for 44 Auto Mag's is always experimenting...
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 7:58pm
Hi Luc,

Yes I totally agree, but some things are best delayed until a certain level of experience has been developed. 

So while I tip my hat to you for trying something new, I still believe for the first time Auto Mag shooter, sticking with a proven formula is a better option. 

Then once a level of comfort and experience with the gun has been built, by all means try something new and keep us posted. Big smile

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
Old44 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 11:20pm
This is the exact starting information I needed.
Have some of the heavy bullets for the 357 and 44, still looking for 210gr for the 41.
There is so little information out there for this cartridge, this is the best place.
Just have to start with a fire-forming load and work up.

Luc, I inspected my gun and had the same gap when pushing down on the barrel. However there is virtually no lateral movement, but I noticed a horizontal displacement equal to the vertical in your test targets. Does your gun have some play in that direction?

Also noticed along with George the primer flattening. I have lived with minor flattening in my Magnum revolvers, is this also normal with the Automag?.

That's some impressive sofrware you are using. May look into it down the road.

George, I too found signs of high pressure with BlueDot in the standard 357, flattened primers, some cratering and seeing the imprint of the backstrap on the primer. This was just working up to max, hadn't even hit it yet.....quit using BlueDot.
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 5:21pm
Yes, the barrel on my pistol can move up/down and left/right. I guess all automag's barrels will have movement in this area. It's the (sloppy) way they are made...
However, this is not important when you hold the pistol in your hands to aim and shoot, since the front and rearsight are both mounted on the barrel, they will Always shoot where you aim at. Only the relation barrel to frame can move and that's why you see the up/down AND left/ right impact differences.
I should have returned the ransom rest to the start position by grasping the frontsight instead of just touching the rest. Might have shown a better result.

Concerning the primer flattening, the ones in my pistol all look the same. They might look as they are lightly smashed, but that is absolutely nothing much. Also that load is not hot at all, just a good practice round.

I quit using Bluedot some years ago after I saw some very weird things happening to many of the calibers I used it for.
Old44 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 12:32am
I plan on using Winchester LP primers rated for standard or magnum loads behind H-110.
I noticed others here use this primer....any comments?
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2013 at 2:29am
I prefer CCI 350's for Auto Mag full power loads with WW296.  Winchester are fine if you are using lower power loads and very good for powders like Accurate #9 when loading for the AM.

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by usrguns usrguns wrote:

Luc, what did the grouping look like??

Hey Larry,
I thought an update on this might be in place.
I just shot the last of that reloaded batch today, and I stay with this load.
Since powder has become an issue to find, this Ramshot is easy to get here (it's Belgian powder anyway) and I'm happy with the results.
Below a picture of one of my targets I usually shoot with this load.
50 rounds shot in standing position, two hand held pistol, not resting on anything, and target at 25 meters.

Just to show the pistol is not covering any other holes:

Well, that's good enough for me to use in the future.

Luvz2Shoot View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvz2Shoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 5:13pm
25 meters...... VERY NICE SHOOTING !!!!

I wish I could do this good with 50 rounds out of my scoped 7mm.  hahahaha

Again, VERY nice shooting!
If you were happy and you knew it, would you clap your hands?
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 8:03pm
Thanks.
Well I loaded about  a thousand of those and today I shot the last of them, so I think I know where they land by now ;-)
Guess it's all about practice. 25 meters is the usual distance overhere to shoot handguns, so we practice this all the time.
It just sounds more impressive if we say we shoot handguns at a nearly a 1000 inches...LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123