AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

44 AMP Ramshot load.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 7:58pm
Just an update,
Tested 30 rounds today, function in the AM is just fine.
Point of impact is pretty much the same as the 'old load'.
That powder burns very clean, leaving no unburned particles or residue in the barrel.
Case extraction is good,and the cases are fairly clean.
Just one change to the above load, the charge this time was 14 grains, just because the powder unit on the Hornady L-N-L was still set for this.Just to be clear, the pictures off the two fired bullets earlier where with the 14.5 grains load.
Btw, this very fine powder works very well and accurate in the L-N-L "dispenser".
I think I'm going to stick to this powder/loading for the next batch of loads.

usrguns View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usrguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 2:30am
Luc,  Did you crony them??
If you can't have fun doing it, then don't do it.
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 4:50pm
Larry,
That was what I had in mind, but the range was to much occupied to set up the Chrony so I just shot the 30 rounds as a function and groupsize test.
I will do some real Chrony tests before loading up. to see how constant the velocity is.
usrguns View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usrguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 1:32am
What did the grouping look like??
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 5:40pm
Larry, the group was very good, no flyers. I'll save some sample targets next time.
usrguns View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usrguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 11:23pm
Thanks Luc,  Have my Ammo guy loading up some for me to try for him.  Will try and crony them in the 6 1/2 & the 8 1/2.  Will let you all know the results when done!!
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2013 at 6:32pm
OK thanks Larry.
So if you do the velocity test,I will do some accuracy test then.
Just made some more ammo,

and will test them in the Ransom Rest on Sunday.

I tried the clamps and wonder if this is a good idea to use like this.
I see to many "naked parts" when the clamps are closed.

I guess I have to cover them up with some tape to keep everything in place:

Hope this works, more later...
Luc V. View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 6:35pm
OK, here's an update about the test shot from the Ransom rest.

Pistol in the machine:

The setup in the range, target is at 25 meter:

Maximum muzzle rise:

And now the more dissapointed news.
The poor results about groups, are probably not the fault of the ammunition, since I did not have any flyers when I shot them "freehand" style before...

The targets:

Reason for the inconsistent results is that when the A.M pistol is locked in the ransom rest, the grip (frame) is rocksolid and can't move.
However, the upperreceiver and barrel have to much "play" on the frame to give reliable results from the rest.

See pictures for play between frame/barrel.

No gap between frame and receiver:

Gap about 1mm between frame and receiver.

So if the back of the receiver can move 1mm up and down/left-right, at 25 meters the impacts will not be consistent.

Conclusion: The tests and results shot from the ransom rest are useless, since the upper can move to much in different directions...
The frame inside the ransom rest is always in the same position, but the point of aim and impact can be shifted around.
When I do a test with the ransom rest, I shoot five rounds fed from the magazine, and I move the rest back into position without touching the pistol, only touching the machine.
Maybe I should have pushed down on the barrel also after each shot, so it would be in the same position each time.
Oh well, today I learned something to remember for future tests.

Next time I will shoot the pistol with the frame (just in front of triggerguard) resting on a sandbag. See if this give a more consistent result.

Old44 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 2:49am
This is an interesting thread for a new Automag owner like me.
Been handloading for some time but this gun is a new beastie.

The most info I've found is on this forum.

For 357, 41 and 44, it seems like H110 might be a good starting powder (since I have some on hand along with 2400) and powder is a bit difficult to get right now.

So what bullet weights does the gun like? 
.357    125gr  or  158gr
.41       170gr  or  210gr
.44       200gr or   240gr
basically on the light or heavy side?

Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 3:25pm

Don't bother wasting one round loading with 2400, its not a good powder for Auto Mags, stick with the H110 or WW 296, they are proven performers.  The Ramshot may be an option but you will have to experiment with it.  H110 and WW 296 is a 100% safe bet to start with. 

Good Luck - gh
Who was that masked man,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>